Lost a leghorn today

SYCABO

Hatching
May 3, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
Hey guys, we had 15 birds but are down to 14 now.

The hen that passed seemed fine up til yesterday. When I got off of work and came home, I let the flock with this hen out of the coop to run around the yard. They always stampede out but she didn't budge from where she was standing inside.

She was breathing heavy and the back few "spikes" of her comb had darkened. I coaxed her toward the water and she just went back to a cool spot and stayed there for the evening, opting out of joining the rest inside the coop for the night. She made a few coughing noises while I watched her resting.

This morning she was lethargic but drinking, and when I came home on my lunchbreak to check on her, she was gone.

She went in a pretty dignified way, and it looked like the rest of the flock left her alone.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could have been? It seems so fast to me. My wife is the most sensitive to watching for that stuff. Unfortunately she is also insanely busy during the school year since she is a teacher. I dont see her til 7-10 several nights a week so she doesnt have time to hang out and really observe them, so it falls to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what it could be but usually if other animals leave another animal alone and won't go near it that animal is about to die. So I use my dog to tell if one my animals are about to die. When my hens were little I thought one of them was about to die so I took her up to my dog and she just kept sniffing her so I knew she would live. If you have a dog you can do this to see if one of your chickens is about to die.

Since that possibility waz brought up, we are boosting the cleanliness. Im also adding apple cider vinegar in the water to help clean out anything that might already be going on with the others.

I havent seen any signs of similar problems with any of the others. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom