Lost a loved bird, SWEET revenge - this is graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.
yuckyuck.gif
been doing my part for a long time
smile.png

Quote:
Humans should not be so egocentric. My best advice is, yes "never make the mistake of leaving your birds at risk again", but please do not disturb wild life and the ecosystem balance, if one species exist it's because it is necessary, and trying to chance it will create more problems than advantages. Remember they were there before you and please try to live peacefully with them. I do believe in selection of the stronger, but eradicating/controlling populations is a forced and not correct way of doing it (you will end up killing the healthiest ones that are more active, that are bigger, that move more, the ones that catch more the attention, etc. and that's not how nature works).
Please respect the habitat you live in, without all the animals that may or not appear being an obstacle for your success his beauty would not be the same.
Thanks for reading this.

Holding the view that the ego is the center, object, and norm of all experiences confined in attitude or interest to one's own needs only makes the dilemma "is the only good coyote a dead coyote?" easier to resolve. Egocentric isn't a bad thing. Having said that if every man shot one coyote a day every day or even two or three it wouldn't put a dent in the population or unbalance the ecosystem BUT it might reduce global warming, so please do your part and shoot a coyote.

At 7L it goes without saying. Here's one my son shot.
63768_7l_coyote_11-5-2008_003.jpg

Quote:
Is good to know that people take actions and base them is something other them their backyards losses. Because that ones have made many species to disappear.

Quote:
In my comment I have never referred the word "coyote", specially when I said "they were there before you and please try to live peacefully with them" I was refering to the wildlife I pointed in the line before, so please apply what I said to everything (though I know this is a coyote thread).
big_smile.png

Quote:
Self confidence is a good thing, egocentrism gets more into the egoims side.

We have a pack of coyotes living somewhere on our land. They have never bothered with our chickens. We let our dogs run off leash on our property and they do a wonderful job at marking around the coop. Our only problem is with hawks and fox. We have been very lucky over the last few years but did loose the entire flock this past spring to a fox. We got to comfortable and let our guard down. Just always be on your toes! If it's not a ground attack it will be an aerial attack!

Quote:
Is good to know that people take actions and base them is something other them their backyards losses. Because that ones have made many species to disappear.

Quote:
In my comment I have never referred the word "coyote", specially when I said "they were there before you and please try to live peacefully with them" I was refering to the wildlife I pointed in the line before, so please apply what I said to everything (though I know this is a coyote thread).
big_smile.png

Quote:

You're right--you didn't use the specific word "coyote", but you did say "wildlife" and since this IS a coyote thread I assumed that you were talking about coyotes.

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:
big_smile.png

Quote:

PortugalBreeder, please tell me what species have disappeared do to “backyard breeders” killing them off. No sarcasm meant, I’m serious because I can’t think of one species in North America that has “disappeared” do to “back yard” farmers, breeders, chicken, duck and turkey raisers.

Don’t bother naming Wolves. That was a concerted effort of trapping and poisoning by groups ranchers in order to “save” their calves / their herds.

Last edited:
Quote:
OK, you are right about that, but my message is being misunderstood.
World is global now, I'm from Europe, and since nature works the same everywhere, and people tend to think and react the same everywhere, I'm trying to pass a conservation message to apply in a global situation. I have never referred North America in my comment, although it applies to there to.
And as you are right, I should add to complete the message that not only backyard, but also the production farms, matter.
What really matters is that when people and wild life interest collide the actions tend to wild life extermination. Wolfs as you said are one example, the Tasmanian tiger which were eliminated because people suspected they were killing their poultry (now it's know that the biggest cause were wild dogs and cats) are another example.
I'm an hunter, so I don't think kill is always a bad thing, but I would like that people be "exposed" to this way of thinking so that they can conclude by themselves his veracity. It's inevitable that this way of thinking to became the future and general way of thinking, but it may take a while. So I'm happy just to share it with you.
By what you have said, looks like coyotes are becoming a pest there, so controlling their population seems to be the right thing to do. But that actions is not always the right thing, per example, I bet that with foxes or raptor bird, the scenario isn't the same, so instead of killing them improve your coop security.

Quote:
OK, you are right about that, but my message is being misunderstood.
World is global now, I'm from Europe, and since nature works the same everywhere, and people tend to think and react the same everywhere, I'm trying to pass a conservation message to apply in a global situation. I have never referred North America in my comment, although it applies to there to.
And as you are right, I should add to complete the message that not only backyard, but also the production farms, matter.
What really matters is that when people and wild life interest collide the actions tend to wild life extermination. Wolfs as you said are one example, the Tasmanian tiger which were eliminated because people suspected they were killing their poultry (now it's know that the biggest cause were wild dogs and cats) are another example.
I'm an hunter, so I don't think kill is always a bad thing, but I would like that people be "exposed" to this way of thinking so that they can conclude by themselves his veracity. It's inevitable that this way of thinking to became the future and general way of thinking, but it may take a while. So I'm happy just to share it with you.
By what you have said, looks like coyotes are becoming a pest there, so controlling their population seems to be the right thing to do. But that actions is not always the right thing, per example, I bet that with foxes or raptor bird, the scenario isn't the same, so instead of killing them improve your coop security.

Actually foxes and raptor bird are on the increase also. Everything in North America has been on the increase since the 1940 with exception of Wolves and the Bald Eagle. Both of those are on the increase lately. Saw a Bald Eagle eating road kill on the side of the road just last week when on my way home from the shooting range.

Anytime an animal becomes endangered and sometimes when not they are protected. They “thought” alligators were endangered. They're still on the endangered list. Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana are over run with them but one better not get caught with one without a license.

Coyote, Raccoon, and wild pig populations have exploded in recent years. Wild Life and Fisheries personnel are elated when people mange to take one on a management area. Here in the South there is no season they can be taken year round.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say 'Hey I haven't seen a coyote in such a long time maybe we should think twice before we shoot anymore". There is a lot of goat farming in this part of the country and Coyote kill many even with the Great Perennesse (sp) guarding the herds. I think that the U.S. has led the world in preservation of wild life and wildlife conservation. Europe has not. The Orient has not. Asia and Africa have not. The U.S. doesn't need to be lectured we need to do more lecturing and maybe boycott the nations that don't practice good conservation.

I know we have a few coyote packs in the area that have increased in numbers over the last few years so now I think there is a need to cull them. I don't shoot indiscriminately or kill for fun. If I can lure as many coyote to the run as possible I'll shoot them until they don't come anymore. If I kill all of the mutts in the hollow so be it. Its my intent.

I have a neighbor down the road with so many staving cats they have started coming to my place in broad daylight and now they're are attacking the chickens and our cat as the birds range and my cats (2) could care less about a chicken. I'm beginning to think I made a mistake and am maybe in the wrong thinking we could enjoy these few birds that we have. I'm not going to keep them under lock and key or deprive them of the yard. Predators simply wont be tolerated.

I asked the neighbor to take care of his cats, that's not going to happen. I don't have any desire to live trap and go through that song and dance. Why the coyotes haven't had a field day with the cats is beyond me. You do what you gotta do. If I notice a shortage of coyote and starving cats all the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom