Lost a loved bird, SWEET revenge - this is graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnTom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 27, 2010
Woodbury Tn
I made a terrible mistake and left the coop and run open one night last week and in the morning I found my sweet sweet Sadie gone with only the signs of a struggle. Lots of feathers but no bird, no blood, just some paw tracks.
Last night I put the birds to bed and intentionally left the run gate open and began the wait. Right at dawn I saw what I was hoping to see. This one Coyote will never make up for a terrible mistake on my part or replace our loved Sadie but when this guy trotted up to the run gate and paused I made sure Sadie will be the last chicken he'll ever snatch.
Coyote1111820009003.jpg

Last edited:
I have plans to reduce the coyote population significantly this winter and be sure I will never make the mistake of leaving my birds at risk again.

If you totally irradicate the coyote population, be ready to be overrun by rabbits and other rodents. My neighbor rid our area of the entire pack two years ago and we have never had so many rabbits and rodents. I haven't had a good producing garden since because of the rabbit overrun! My family misses the canned goods that I previously put up and gave away. I'm not saying that the pack shouldn't be thinned and I am in total agreement with blowing away those that have a taste for my chickens since they will return over and over. But a balance can be a good thing. It's just hard to find where that balance is!

If you totally irradicate the coyote population, be ready to be overrun by rabbits and other rodents.

I'll keep that in mind as I put them in the cross hairs. As for the balance it will be between dead and those destined to be.

I have 2 very good mousers that do an excellent job. As for the rabbits I put 36" chicken wire at the bottom of the garden fence so my biggest potential garden pest are the deer and they have not shown any interest I have a plot they love and that's where they are welcome, it seems to work and as long as they don't try to kill my chickens they're safe.

Rabbit stew goes great with some biscuits and gravy and some turnips greens. Coyotes are history

Last edited:
I have a very healthy hawk population which does a great job on the rabbits and rodents.

Fire away!!

Quote:
You do know rabbits are good to eat right? Coyotes not so much.

How does one balance the safety of poultry, dogs, cats, young livestock and children over Coyotes and as a + having an abundance of a food source? Sounds like a win win situation to me. Rabbit tastes good. Coyoties look for the easiest meal, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, young livestock and small children. Coyotes will come in a neighborhood in broad daylight and try to runoff with whatever is available including children. Did I mention I like fried rabbit?
smile.png

Good job Tn Tom. Nice rifle too. Looks like that pelt would make a nice rug.
wink.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom