Lost a male Turkey, need to replace him in my flock!

18hugs4me

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
South Central Pennsylvania
Hello Everyone! I have no clue how to find what I'm looking for. I have lost my male Broad Breasted Bronze Turkey I got in the spring (2022). He was in with my chicken flock and a single female Turkey. She is now lonely and follows me around like crazy. So much that prior to him being removed, she never had let me pet her more than a quick fleeting pat. Now she lays down in submission-type so often that I have to really "push" her to get back up or the other chickens seem to feel her submission and they just pounce and peck and pull on her!

I need a replacement mate and I have NOT A CLUE as to how to find her one. He was very sick for two weeks and finally passes. The vet believed it to be a chronic respiratory condition. He ruled out that it wasn't a flu and none of my other birds have been sick or affected since he was isolated when we first noticed it. No amount of care, antibiotics and home remedies helped. So the vet was convinced that was the end result of his passing was that he just wasn't going to make it no matter what if he had gotten it again. But as we all also know, sometimes there's just nothing more that we can do except to make them as comfortable as possible in the end. Never wanted more than two Turkeys, didn't really care too much when we picked the pair up as hatchlings, but I got attached just like I have with ALL of my other feathered friends over the years.

Any help or suggestions on finding one that I can incorporate into my flock before it's too cold is greatly appreciated. You all have so many wonderful ideas and avenues of research that it makes back-yard chickens (and other feathered friends) fun!

(Just for Fun ... I'm including some photos of my Theo before he passed.. .and the female "Spots"... along with a photo bombing chicken... She likes the attention more! LOL!)
Video Link here!

Attachments

• IMG_5491.JPEG
    IMG_5491.JPEG
    878.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5492.JPEG
    IMG_5492.JPEG
    678 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5493.JPEG
    IMG_5493.JPEG
    638 KB · Views: 9
BBB are bred to be harvested at 16 to 20 wks. They have heart and leg problems after that.
Heritage turkeys have longer lives and don't have these issues if started on turkey feed the first couple months.

Craigslist and farm pages on FB are good places to find birds.
Thank you Molpet, I appreciate the information. I will look there. Have tried FB but I haven’t really found anything local for me.

Back
Top Bottom