lost chicks to carelessness

coldinnh

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2010
NH
Didn't Rapunzel the girls last night and now I am missing at least 3 chicks (the others are moving so it is hard to count them) I know I am missing a Turnkey (naked neck) a leghorn and one my pretty dove looking one
barnie.gif
hit.gif
:hit:hit
Thought my husband had (he was down at the barn)
rant.gif
. I found two sets of feathers (black and white) - so I know at least three - but I think 4 (just don't want to admit it)
hit.gif

Lesson- always double check...learned

I know what you mean always double and triple check. I lost a turkey and 2 chicks because i did not check in on them good for about 2 day just a quick feed and water. Ive been sick with something still not over it. The turkey got stuck and the 2 chicks were dead not sure what went wrong. Im doing my best to watch the others for illness.

I found two sets of feathers (black and white

The turkey got stuck and the 2 chicks were dead

Sounds like you both have predator problems. Sorry, you had your loses, though. I almost lost 1 of my young Buttercups, found him on the other side of our outer fence. If I'd have waited much longer to close them up for the night, I would not have had daylight to find him and get his dumb little butt home. Evidently he got out of the brooder yard and had gone exploring. He's lucky there wasn't a neighborhood dog on that side of the fence, there usually is.

You can't watch them every minute and that's all it takes. Learn from the experience and keep going. Good luck.​

So sorry about your lost bird's.It's hard when ya work or you depend on someone else to make sure all the bird's are in.I Just lost a silkie hen a few week's ago because DH shut the birdie's up and he naturaly assumed they were all in.We have lost 4 duck's also but We finanly got them going back to horse stall at night now.I had to go fetch my showgirl silkie tonight and that darn cochin hen I dunno how they gettin in cattle field but luckily saw them and they safe for today.I know once you get a lot of birds too many too keep up with at times.Just pray if they out they smart and find a tree.

The coop was left open all night just an open buffet for a predator- doing some upgrades and found a foot
sad.png
so whatever was inside the house. When I put up the girls I do a head count- DH does not. the girls are getting over their scare- the next night was stressful on them- they all wanted to hide in the rafters.

Thanks for all the comfort and advice.

Back
Top Bottom