Lost feather, pleaes help!

pongpong

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2021
Hi. My Rhode Island Red has been having some problem with her feather for a while. The feather on the back were lost and the skin was exposed and doesn't look good either. Is this some kind of skin disease? Other chickens are all fine and I never saw other chickens pecking at her either.

Please help. Thanks!

1617846496973.png

1617847410500.png

1617847433260.png

Last edited:
What age are your chickens? There's a good chance that it's starting to molt. If so, this should be normal, because chickens usually molt every year.

She is 10 months old. She has been having this problem for a few months. Originally I thought she was just being pecked by other chickens, but it didn't look like the case.

She looks like my Eloise (also a RIR). Everyone else has gone through their fall/winter molt except for Eloise. She looks like a ragged mess. She’ll be two years old in June. I’m not very worried, though, because she’s still as spunky and pushy as ever (not acting sick or anything like that). Maybe Eloise and your girl are just super late molter? :confused:
Hi. My Rhode Island Red has been having some problem with her feather for a while. The feather on the back were lost and the skin was exposed and doesn't look good either. Is this some kind of skin disease? Other chickens are all fine and I never saw other chickens pecking at her either.

Please help. Thanks!

View attachment 2604661

View attachment 2604689

View attachment 2604690

Back
Top Bottom