Lost Hen, Black Spots on Comb, Owner has not claimed as of yet

Chicklette6678

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2023
Neighbor posted this morning of lost, wandering chicken. Rushed over and it is now contained in my backyard away from my flock. Has been given electrolytes and chick food/grit. Also ate some birdseed while coaxing into carrier. Noticed black spots on comb. No one has responded to claim ownership and it has been more than a few hours. Any idea if I should be concerned? Thank you!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Appears a little bigger than my current flock so guessing around 4 months.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Eating, drinking, took a small nap in carrier while standing up. Does not seem sluggish but could be from the stress when being caught.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

No idea. Sorry

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No, and is isolated from my flock.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Does not appear so but willing to check further if needed.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Saw the black spots and concerned no one has claimed her yet.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Medicated chick feed, bird seed mixture (was neighbors’, do not know brand), couple pieces of frozen watermelon.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

No poop. She’s been here 3 hours and no poop yet.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

None yet.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Would prefer the owner treat, but will do what I am able.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

See pictures.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Threw a little pine shavings in carrier.

Attachments

• BEED93D1-74B4-461B-8B06-E25FD0EEC3D3.jpeg
    BEED93D1-74B4-461B-8B06-E25FD0EEC3D3.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 176
  • EB73E84A-1E49-46F2-A11B-E0E9AEB5F95B.jpeg
    EB73E84A-1E49-46F2-A11B-E0E9AEB5F95B.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 11B6BB07-B3AA-4C9B-B633-2D953C267881.jpeg
    11B6BB07-B3AA-4C9B-B633-2D953C267881.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 296DFAC4-3CE4-402C-94FE-AEB6C4DDF8ED.jpeg
    296DFAC4-3CE4-402C-94FE-AEB6C4DDF8ED.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 29
Can't be 100% sure but it looks like a scab from an injury on the comb. Looks like a rhode island red pullet if I'm not mistaken.
Thank you for the quick reply and insight. Seems the poor thing might have a rough life

I would agree with both of @DLA assessments. Comb looks like scabbing, possibly from pecking/being on the bottom of the order or an animal attack, which may explain why she ran off. Also, looks old enough for layer/all flock/grower. With that amount of comb development she is well older than 16 weeks.

If you’re going to feed seed/treats (the watermelon) be sure she has access to grit.

Hope for your sake you are able to find the owner quickly. Best of luck.

I would agree with both of @DLA assessments. Comb looks like scabbing, possibly from pecking/being on the bottom of the order or an animal attack, which may explain why she ran off. Also, looks old enough for layer/all flock/grower.

If you’re going to feed seed/treats (the watermelon) be sure she has access to grit.

Hope for your sake you are able to find the owner quickly. Best of luck.
Ty! She has been posted on FB but not calls yet. I realize it is a holiday weekend but I am concerned.

Update: "Hannah Solo" had a vet visit who said she was very malnourished, but in otherwise excellent health. Vet also confirmed the spots were probably from trauma rather than fowl pox- so thank you for your expert opinions!! As of yesterday, the largest black spot is gone and while still floppy, her comb continues to heal. Since no one has claimed her and I am a sucker for her soft trilling, last weekend we built a new run and coop to keep her isolated. She has been eating and drinking like a hoover, and fingers crossed, will happily join our flock in a few months.

Update: "Hannah Solo" had a vet visit who said she was very malnourished, but in otherwise excellent health. Vet also confirmed the spots were probably from trauma rather than fowl pox- so thank you for your expert opinions!! As of yesterday, the largest black spot is gone and while still floppy, her comb continues to heal. Since no one has claimed her and I am a sucker for her soft trilling, last weekend we built a new run and coop to keep her isolated. She has been eating and drinking like a hoover, and fingers crossed, will happily join our flock in a few months.
I think that is wonderful that you saved her!

Back
Top Bottom