Lost her best friend and coop mate- now depressed

Hi- Thank you for your support and suggestions!! Sorry I had such late reply~ it seems like we've moved from depression to complete annoyance at me trying to find a friend for her. We added two new chickens to the group- one completely bonded with a different hen and now I can't separate them (not the outcome I was looking for) and the other we added this weekend- so far no immediate love. We keep trying to introduce them at night when they are sleeping, but the next thing I know I hear squacking and I'm so worried about them hurting each other so I seperate them.
But, despite those troubles- my original sad little hen has started eating and scratching again so I think we may be in the clear. :)

yeah, pecking order can be a funny thing...but Im glad she is doing better
smile.png

There will be some pecking and squawking in the normal pecking order. As long as you don't see blood and the scuffles stop pretty quickly (no cornering and ganging up on one chicken with it looking as though blood will be drawn) then things are fine. This is how they establish who is in charge. There will be a lead hen and then someone at the bottom.

What I do is spend two hours or so observing after I integrate two groups of chickens. After two hours if there is relative peace I consider it a success. As long as the sizes of the chickens are similar (no very little chicks in with large hens) this works well.

Congratulations on finding her some friends! Yes, she would rather be with someone she argues with than alone.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom