Lost more than 40 chicks! So angry!

I'm so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Quote:
I have a 6500W generator that I use when we lose power. I don't think it can run my entire house, but if I had two of them I could. It has saved my birds before that's for sure. Mine will run several things.

If they brought generators, I just don't see why they should have had so many losses. I can understand the eggs, but not the chicks. I think that was just from a lack of caring.
idunno.gif

As you probably realize now--- no one, but no one takes care of your place as well as you do yourself!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I ask about the generators? How in the world does one go about getting the local FD to bring'em a generator?

In the last 5 years we have had three major hurricanes, katrina, rita and gustav. My power was out 7 days, 2 days and 6 days respectively. Me, myself and I have supplied the generator power and the fuel for, on each occassion, if I would have waited on some one to "bring" me a generator, I'd still be waiting. Also, it has been my experience that just because you give some one a generator, that does not automatically mean they have the ability and means to use it. Did the people who were watching your place know how to operate a generator?

Fuel for the generator can and will become an issue very quickly. Assuming the snow storm blocked normal transportation to and from some areas, how was fuel aquired. A small generator can use upwards of 5 gallons every 6 to 10 hours. In 48 hours fuel requirements would have been between 24 to 40 gallons. Did you have that much fuel available?

In my case, going into a hurricane, I have on hand for instant use 65 gallons of generator fuel, that is excluding the full fuel tanks on vehicles. That gives me roughly 7 days of generator fuel, as long as I restrict the use of the generator to bare essentials, fridge, water, communications, minimum lighting.

Doesn't sound to me like it was a very good time to be taking a vacation. Should have canceled out, stayed home taken care of your place and yourself.

6500w can run an entire house-- as long as you are not trying to run climate control systems, electric hotwater, or electric cooking. Small portable electric heaters can use upwards of 2000-5000w.

Two 6500w generators can run an entire house, including a furnace with forced air. Not electric heat. BUT--- very few people will have the pieces/parts/cords and plugs required to do it. Linking two generators together is slightly more complicated than grabing an extension cord.

sad.png
Wow, that is bad luck, but you can't blame the housesitters for the storm. You can deduct from their pay for the loss of the chicks and any other damages and I would.
rant.gif
You would have been better off having someone who raises chickens themselves, or using the time while planning to fully familiarize them with with your setup. Maybe even have them work a couple of days for you to see that they knew what to do.

I'm taking care of a friends birds as well as my own right now due to his illness. My ducks and chickens at home and his ducks and geese and my roosters at his place. I haven't lost one in either place yet and we've been going through record low temperatures lately. Tonight we're getting a freezing rain. I hope it remains that way.

Take care of yourself and get back to hatching and building up your flock. Just don't plan vacations while that process is going on again in the future.

Geez, give her a break! She said it was a family event (son's engagement I think) not a random vacation. She's know the people that were supposed to be taking care of things for over a year and had them out to the farm daily for an extended amount of time, AND had left written instructions. The storm was bad luck, but the amount of loss sure seems to be indicitive of lack of care on the farm sitters part. I think bashing on her for <Gasp> leaving the farm in what should have been good hands for a week is uncalled for.

Op, you have my complete sympathy. What a devastating thing to come home to, and so much harder to deal with when your sick too. Best of luck with your rebuilding efforts.
hugs.gif

Wow did you give them specific instructions?

Everyone that even walks into our home are told not to touch anything near the bators. I'll bet they think I'm weird, but it's the first thing out of my mouth if they walk into the family room and it get's more emphasis the younger they are.

weekend before I was gone Thurs., Fri and Sat. 17 & 15 year olds were left charge. Almost all of the instructions before leaving had to do with the incubators and chikens outside. Told them I'd rather come home to dirty dishes (something I detest) than to come home to dead eggs or animals.

Can I ask about the generators? How in the world does one go about getting the local FD to bring'em a generator?
In small communities like ours, you just have to ask.

Me, myself and I have supplied the generator power and the fuel for, on each occassion, if I would have waited on some one to "bring" me a generator, I'd still be waiting.
She lives in an area that seldom sees snow, very few folks have generators on hand. So yes, someone had to 'bring' her a generator.

In 48 hours fuel requirements would have been between 24 to 40 gallons. Did you have that much fuel available?
This storm only lasted 8-10 hours, roads were passable the next day to get fuel if needed.

Doesn't sound to me like it was a very good time to be taking a vacation. Should have canceled out, stayed home taken care of your place and yourself.
When we left, a snowstorm hit. It hit after she left. If it had hit before, she wouldnt have been able to leave.

This OP is a very responsible animal owner and in fact operates a tropical bird rescue, which may be why the FD was so quick to get her some help. She cut her trip short and returned immediately upon hearing of the problems at her home but it was a 14 hour drive and the storm was in the way during her travels.

To Tenn- Truly: I hope you feel better soon,
fl.gif
and are able to replace your losses, but the first thing is to fight this stupid H1N1.
tongue.gif
I had it early,
he.gif
and it was really the fight of my life! I've never been so sick before, what with lungs and heart all involved!
duc.gif
It was terrible, and I hope your go-round with it isn't nearly so bad...
fl.gif
I'm sure you'll be back up and around and taking care of things, setting things to rights very soon!
hugs.gif
Sorry for your losses, but hang in there and get well soon!!!

Back
Top Bottom