Lost most of my flock this afternoon

Reading all of these posts is reason for me to stay away from free-ranging. I have an oversized run at 2000 sq ft but still at times I think about letting all 24 chooks out in evening if I am to be outside too. But I realize that I cannot watch all of them well enough to try it.

I am going to make up some 6' x 6' frames of salvaged 1x2's for stretching chicken wire over. Will place that down on new grass I have coming in now in run (currently protected by a 4 ft tall fence) At least they will then have live grass all of the time since they cannot get to roots to rip it up. (I always toss a half-bushel over the fence after done mowing and they dive on it and eat it up.) As close to free-ranging that I can manage, minus bugs. Have considered building a cricket breeding place in center of run . Escapees from it would be snacks for the chooks if caught and if not would be free. On back burner for now, but may do it before springtime. 1000 cricket mites are really cheap and can be mailed to your door. If it works, will be renewable protein for my chooks. Even if it never takes off as a breeding center of its own, I can repopulate it for around $15. Not bad at all, especially if done only twice a year or so. Have to feed them with decaying vegetation and manure I think. Suspect that a small compost pile protected by chicken wire would protect them from being plundered the first day. Seems that as they grow they will leave for reasons of overcrowding. It might just work.
smile.png

hello great chicken folks we lost our pekin duck to our dogs a few days ago it is very heart breaking .hope you dont give up on this great lifestyle of CHICKENS

hugs.gif
Sorry for your loss. Last year evil neighbor dogs did a number on my flock too. What steps have the neighbors taken to ensure that there will not be a repeat of this? Their dogs are their responsibility. The old, "gosh the kids left the gate open again" gets really old. I hope that they take this seriously and make majot changes to confine the dogs or they rehome them. Soe dog owners don't learn their lesson. I hope that they compensate you fairly. If it happens again, shoot the dogs.

Save the bodies if you can.....make a police report and start filling a claim with their homeowners policy. My mom had the same thing happen to her and the dog owners homeowner's policy had to take care of it. I would get the hatcheries to give me quotes on replacement hens. Not just what day olds would cost.

So sorry for your loss...
hit.gif
We lost a roo to a dog about 2 months ago.. And we almost lost 4 birds to a dog today but they managed to get under a porch the dog couldn't fit under. Lots of feathers, but no missing chickens.

Well no one else showed up today so I have 5 hens and 6 roosters out of 28 plus the 9 youngsters that are all gone. 1 hen has a wound and a lot of feather loss took her to the vet and she is on AB's for 5 days and cleaning the wound 2x a day for 5 days.

I am trying to calculate what they owe me and have come up with this so far what do you think.

9 2 month olds have cost me so far
cost of chicks $92.89
2 bags feed $27.98
bedding $3.99
total $124.86

Egg loss from these girls based on the calculations I found on BYC
6 eggs a week for 52 weeks sold for $1.50dz = $39.00 x 9 = $351.00
Total cost and loss $475.86

The older hens 7months I am not sure what to base their cost so far on. I am not replacing anyone right now and most likely will get chicks in the spring so should I do POL replacement cost plus the bag of feed per hen and then the egg loss for each?

8 dead hens @ $20 =$160
1bag feed each @$12.00 =$96.00 (they were on Dumor and the new ones were on purina)
Egg Loss 8 x $39.00 =$312.00
Total $568.00

How do I figure the 9 dead roos. I was going to cull about 1/2 of the origianl total and loved some of the others so much I was just going to set up a bachelor pad for them
would $10 @ be enough that would be $90

I will be charging the vet bill for today and 1 month of egg loss for her will on AB's.
egg loss $3.00
vet bill ?

Grand total would then be $1136.86 plus the vet bill

I also don't know what to do about there dogs my sister says I should have them put to sleep which I don't see I am a dog person and it is the dogs fault is the peoples fault. this is a rural area and people just let their dogs run they don't get it. My one friend said I should have them help set up and partially pay to safely enclose an area for my chickens I dont' know? I know that they will be back. My son wants to go tell them to put a fence up and keep their dogs in it. Sorry Rambling on this part because they should be responsible for controlling their animals don't know if they will. I shouldn't have to go through extra drama to keep my animals safe on my property. These dogs live a mile a way. blah blha. better stop there.

My friend I am very sorry for you loss. Many of us have suffered from dog kills. I had to replace my flock in late summer from a similar kill. I am not sure where Courtland KS is but there is a place near Lawrence that sells part to mostly grown birds called "Guest House Hens' I am not sure how to copy links on here but if you search them you can find them on line. The site may help you price your bird loss for recomp. They may also have birds you can purchase and get a jump on the growing process. Hugs to you for you loss.

As far as their dogs, I probably wouldn't ask them to put them down. However, you said you are in a rural area...here in my rural area, we are allowed to shoot dogs if they are on our property threatening our animals. You might find out if that is the case there. Let them know that if the dogs are ever on your property again, they will be called to come get what is left of their dogs. They need to be responsible for their pets.

Again, I am heartbroken for you. I would be devastated.

Back
Top Bottom