Lost my 13 wk old BO roo today...

TennesseeTruly

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Church Hill, TN
My poor 8 year old grandson found him, dead, this morning when he went to feed them. He came running back to the house crying his poor eyes out telling me that Buster our BO roo was dead under the coop.

My husband and I immediately went down, my husband getting under the coop and got him out. We laid him on a counter in our barn, looked him over and over. We didn't see one mark on him. No bite marks, no peck marks, nothing. Its like he just keeled over and died.

I'm so puzzled. He was fine yesterday and last night. He didn't show any signs that I could see, of being ill.

Anyone have any ideas what might have happened?? BTW, all these chickens are ones that came from TSC in March and haven't been exposed to any other chickens, not even other ones on my property that I have gotten from eggs from BYC'rs and such.

We do use biosecurity measures so as not to bring contamination from one area to another.

Laurie

hugs.gif
sad.png

So sorry for you loss.

Unfortunately this IS part of having chickens. They seem to just keel over sometimes without a reason.

What you need to know is the roo probably had a heart attack, this is a fairly common reason they die.

I am sure he had a great life with you all. hugs to your child.

You know, I was wondering about a heart attack. We had some horrific thunderstorms pass through NE Tennessee, since yesterday. Torrential rain, really bad winds, tornados touching down a few miles from our house. Trees down, power out, really bad stuff. Its been bad since yesterday. We didn't have any power/internet until 2 hours ago and thats why I hadn't posted before now.

It scared us and my poor 10 week old goose was absolutely terrified as well.

Thanks for the answers.

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom