Lost one of my emu babies

Quote:
So sorry Debbie. It is really sad because these guys are so personable right from the moment they dry off. We bonded with ours and each has it's own personality and little quirks. I hope I love them as much when they stand and look me in the eye as I do now. They are truly one of the most endearing creatures I have met. They have started to chase the blackbirds out of the yard so their guard instinct is kicking in. I ordered custom signs to put on my fence that read "EMUS AND DONKEYS ARE GUARD ANIMALS. DO NOT TOUCH." We have a new neighbor with several kids and one neighbor who walks her youngster along the road and encourages him to pet the animals through the fence. I want people to know that they do so at their own risk.

I hope you got more emus.

Mary

Quote:
So sorry Debbie. It is really sad because these guys are so personable right from the moment they dry off. We bonded with ours and each has it's own personality and little quirks. I hope I love them as much when they stand and look me in the eye as I do now. They are truly one of the most endearing creatures I have met. They have started to chase the blackbirds out of the yard so their guard instinct is kicking in. I ordered custom signs to put on my fence that read "EMUS AND DONKEYS ARE GUARD ANIMALS. DO NOT TOUCH." We have a new neighbor with several kids and one neighbor who walks her youngster along the road and encourages him to pet the animals through the fence. I want people to know that they do so at their own risk.

I hope you got more emus.

Mary

Thank you Mary, yes the next year my male hatched 2 babies and I blocked the entrance of the shed so the babies couldn't get out in the open until they were bigger. I have emus and donkeys too. This year my male got broody but the female didn't lay any eggs, which was ok because I have 6 emus and their feed can get expensive.
The original pair came from someone that was afraid of the female. They were 3 years old at the time. For at least a year the female would charge at anyone coming in the enclosure. I don't completely trust her yet but she hasn't attacked in a long time. They are very interesting animals. They also love to be hosed down on a warm day. They plop down in the puddles and kick around, they are very comical.

So sad
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom