Question about Emu Behavior

emupriya

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
My older emu who is a little over 1.5 years old has adopted a strange behavior. Whenever he is around my dad he curls his head, fluffs out his neck feathers (it looks like he’s wearing a boa), and struts around, making grunting and booming noises and following him wherever he goes. When I happen to walk by, he snaps out of his daze and runs at me, usually grabbing my hat off my head and hissing/throwing a front kick.
While I may have (oops) encouraged some of this behavior, like snatching my hat for instance, he treats me (Female) extremely different than my dad in an aggressive way. Is this because of breeding season? He started acting this way around September.
When he is in his pen, he continuously
paces one side like he feels a pull in that certain direction. I’ve caught him sneaking down the driveway numerous times, even though the nearest female emu is probably 20 miles away.
599975FF-48BD-4F3F-BF9D-468344DF530A.jpeg
A932C660-F933-411B-A403-4D76315AE762.jpeg

How sure are you that he's male? The strutting, posturing, and especially the booming noises all sound like things females do during mating season. Those are things my females do during this time of year. Not so much my males. And the booming, drumming noise is typically a female noise.

Especially with him then getting a bit aggressive towards you, a female, but following your dad, a male, around.

I’m with Pyxis in this one. The description of the sounds it’s making, lean more towards female than male. The males grunt and growl, as they don’t have the big pouch that the females have for drumming.

Happen to have a video or recording of the behavior? Both males and females act a little different than normal during breeding season.

How sure are you that he's male? The strutting, posturing, and especially the booming noises all sound like things females do during mating season. Those are things my females do during this time of year. Not so much my males. And the booming, drumming noise is typically a female noise.

Especially with him then getting a bit aggressive towards you, a female, but following your dad, a male, around.
The person we bought him from said he was a male, but he was a baby at the time. And he’s doing all the behaviors you described…oh geez.

I’m with Pyxis in this one. The description of the sounds it’s making, lean more towards female than male. The males grunt and growl, as they don’t have the big pouch that the females have for drumming.

Happen to have a video or recording of the behavior? Both males and females act a little different than normal during breeding season.

For some reason its not letting me post a video. But here is a few pics of “him” all fluffed up. Unfortunately I think you are both right, which means we might have some eggs in the future, since we have another male emu who is currently 1 year old.

Attachments

• 6C6E687D-2074-4D72-B348-D683EAA9090A.jpeg
    6C6E687D-2074-4D72-B348-D683EAA9090A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 25D037D9-6143-424C-883A-43659EA37A28.jpeg
    25D037D9-6143-424C-883A-43659EA37A28.jpeg
    684.2 KB · Views: 11
  • D2C8A047-4FA8-4A9F-B287-B16463B6ED49.jpeg
    D2C8A047-4FA8-4A9F-B287-B16463B6ED49.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 9
Can you feel down at the base of its neck/breastbone area? If it’s a female, there will be a deflated sack. If it’s male, it will just be breastbone. Ultimately, the best way to sex an emu is by sound. Males can’t and don’t drum or boom. Only grunt.

Last edited:
I can’t be sure if what I felt was just fat or the sack.
Anyway, I contacted the breeder we got him from, and he said they were genetically sexed. There’s a 1-2% chance its wrong but I think it’s unlikely. Guess I just got a really strange emu. Thanks for all the info and help!

Back
Top Bottom