Lost one of my emu babies

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
I have just gotten myself to the point where I am able to post about this. One of my 2 month old emus was badly injured a few days ago. I think he was laying in a mud puddle and got stepped on by a passing donkey. He had a neck wound that was a scrape with feathers missing. I took him to my vet who has emu experience from the emu ranching boom days. He did not have much hope for him but recommended a course of steroids. I sat with him for almost three days, night and day. If I left his sight he whistled frantically until I returned. By Day 3 he was unable to eat, drink, lift his head or move his neck. He could still stand but frantically threw himself into the sides of the cage because he had no balance. It was three of the worst days of my life between the guilt that he got injured in the first place, and the horrible struggle he was in. I finally got he courage to allow him to be euthanized by the vet. I couldn't take him there myself so my husband did it for me.

My vet says that if you can get an emu to a year old they are practically bulletproof, it's just getting them there that is hard. He mentioned seeing neck and spinal injuries from them running into walls, fences, etc. He says their little heads are small and their brains only contain so many neurons that have to control their big bodies.

I treasure the two I have left and have moved the donkeys to another pasture. We only have 10 more months to get to the one year mark.

Please be kind in replying. I am only posting this as a warning to others. No one knows more than we do the that we made a huge mistake and a terrible accident was the end result.

RIP little Pee Wee.
hit.gif
You were loved.
love.gif

34566_the_crew-2.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss! You did the right thing, even though I know it was terribly hard (even if you did get your husband to take Lil Peewee in)!

sad.png
carroll (no emus, jus' 4 chickens)

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. I keep up with your posts in the Icelandic thread and no one could take better care of your animals than you. I respect your information greatly. You cannot keep animals wrapped in bubble wrap. They have to be allowed to live fully and I feel like you do an admirable job of this. Accidents happen to even the most careful and caring of animal owners. Grieve a bit then let it go...
sharon

Sorry to hear that, Warden. Yeh, you can worry a little less as they get older.

Supreme Emu

Last edited:
It was a freak accident, it happens, it hurts, it stinks, you learn from it and are better by it even if it's hard to see it now. I lost one last week, one that was born with a toed out leg. No matter what I did it didn't help. He got around good for awhile, then it began to point totally the other way. I tried to hobble the leg, and put him in a safe pen to see how it went. He seemed fine for the day, Well when I went in the house he freaked out , dug a hole from struggling and ingested so much dirt from throwing himself in it that he choked himself and died..
hit.gif

How sad! Freak accidents do happen though, and it certainly wasn't your fault. At least he was given a lot of love through his struggle, I'm sure he really appreciated that.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom