Lost one of my favorite hens this morning :(

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
She was a cuckoo cochin, very special to me altho they all are. She was one of my first hens. I got her from MM 4 years ago in april as a day old chick. The past few days she hadn't been acting herself and hadn't laid an egg which she usually does everyday. I immediately took her in to check her out and found nothing. The only symptoms she had were, lethargic, not eating, not pooping. I checked her crop and it was completely empty and smooshy. I checked her vent and she wasn't eggbound, no swelling or anything unusual. She was mite free and i had just wormed the flock a few weeks ago. They have pine shavings in their coop for bedding and straw in the run that is free of drafts and moisture and cleaned out on a weekly basis. Their waterers are changed twice a day and the feed is checked daily. None of the others are acting any different than they usually do. she wasn't coughing, sneezing or wheezing and had no discharge coming from anywhere. The 2 days i had her in the house i fed her scrambled eggs and water with V&E in it. Last night her eyes told me she probably wouldn't make it thru the night, she just had that "i'm checking out" look
hit.gif
This all just happened sooo fast i didn't get a chance to post a thread on how to help her because i really didn't have anything to go by for help. When i woke up early this morning to check on her she had passed. It must have just happened because her body was still warm
hit.gif
My poor sweet lacy lou is gone and im still at a loss as to what happened. I guess the only way to find out is to have a necropsy done, now to find out where.... It is sooo hard to turn off the tears today and go on with my daily duties
sad.png

R.I.P Lacy Lou

10663_img_4249.jpg

She was just beautiful! I hope you can take comfort in knowing you did everything you could for her and I'm sure she knew she was loved. So sorry for your loss.
sad.png
(I always think it's best to get a necropsy done if you don't know why a hen died.)

Thank you all, I agree birdlover. I am working on finding out where i can take her and how much it will cost to have it done now. I have to have piece of mind the rest of the flock is safe.

Back
Top Bottom