Lost Rooster!

Oldspice

Songster
Oct 21, 2018
I few days ago i saw a rooster in my back yard. I used to have chickens, but didn't know what to do with him! He was friendly, and let me pet him/pick him up. I gave him water and oats but he won't eat it. What should I do!?

I few days ago i saw a rooster in my back yard. I used to have chickens, but didn't know what to do with him! He was friendly, and let me pet him/pick him up. I gave him water and oats but he won't eat it. What should I do!?
Welcome To BYC!
Do you have any photos of the rooster?

Does he seem like he is lethargic?
Can he stand/walk on his own?
Will he drink water?

What are your plans - are you going to try to keep him?
I would get a small bag of chick starter at the feed store and feed him that. In the meantime, check him over really well for any injuries, lice/mites and feel his crop. If his crop is full, he may not eat or have some problems there.

In a pinch you can try offering him a cornmeal mush along with some scrambled/hard boiled egg - see if he will accept that.

Look forward to more information and photos.

This is a picture of him
20181021_082524.jpg
I don't know if I should keep him. He seems very tramatized, like he just stands still and doesn't move. I tried those foods and he still wouldn't eat.

This is a picture of himView attachment 1566884 I don't know if I should keep him. He seems very tramatized, like he just stands still and doesn't move. I tried those foods and he still wouldn't eat.
He looks to be in pretty good shape by the photo.
Do you think he just got lost and belongs to someone nearby? If you can't keep him, I suggest that you put a lost and found ad in your local Craigslist to see if you get any response.
He may have been dumped, but it would be hard to speculate on that.

Do you have a place that you can keep him so you can watch him more closely?
If he can be handled, check his crop to see what that feels like.
With all of his headdress, do you think he can see very well? I know this sounds odd, but maybe he can't see the food your are offering? Have you tried hand feeding him to see if you get a response from him?

I was thinking that he may not be able to see very well, he didn't seem to know i was there when i walked up to him. I do not know of any o my neighbors having chickens either. I tried hand feeding, but did not work.

I was thinking that he may not be able to see very well, he didn't seem to know i was there when i walked up to him. I do not know of any o my neighbors having chickens either. I tried hand feeding, but did not work.
Do you have a way to cage him?

If you were able to walk up on him, then he is not able to see very well.
I don't know if this works or not, but some people with these types of birds gather the headdress and pull it up out of the eyes securing it with a hair band. Some trim the feathers out of the eyes. While you're at it take a good look at the eyes to see that they are clear and he reacts to your hand near his face.

Were you able to feel his crop? Does it feel like it has food in it?

Wow what a beautiful rooster I hear some people leave them free just because they are rooster but if was on ur place I'll keep the humanity in my heart and treat him if he's sick
Determine him if he's well and fine
Although he looks very good :love

But it's on.u.if u keep him or leave him :old

Maybe cause of his feather covering eyes
Trim it asap he maybe scard and missing home he need you.support and love :hugs

IF he accidentally walked away from his home (or got chased by a predator) he may be missing his flock. If he can’t see well it is pretty scary for him. I cut my silkies feathers from her face and it made all the difference in the world. She now stays around the other girls. Before she’d wander off because she didn’t see where they went. Some family may be missing him and think a predator got him.

Could have been dumped, may have been driven off by another rooster, may have been run off by a predator attack where he was. I would ask around, post pictures if that is reasonable where you live. He looks fairly young and in good shape. Agree with trimming his feathers to see if that helps him see, that's a common issue with birds with that kind of feathering. He's a pretty bird! He may very well be traumatized by whatever happened. I'd try to help his vision and then leave him some dishes of food and water and move away for a bit. Some roo's can be pretty stand-offish, he may feel more comfortable eating if he's not too close. Hard to say not knowing where he came from, experiment a little.

Back
Top Bottom