Lost them all -all my goslings

So sorry to hear. I would definitely ban the dog from my property as well. A known animal killing dog has no right going to "visit" where so many small animals are. A real shame!
hugs.gif

OMG!! We worked so hard to raise something and then an outside force comes along and something like this happens. My heart aches when I see a post like this.

I'm so sorry and big hugs!!
I just put my new girl out in her pen and it will be her first night out. I worry!! As we all do when raising them.

Jacie

Hi ,Sounds like a good shock collar is needed to train that thick headed dog...Beleive me it works..I have bird dogs for years
and somtimes they just dont get it.

But ive learned to train using a good shock collar and that really make the differnce between a good dog and a bad one around poultry..etc...Labs are 1 of the smartest dogs in the world..They just need a little guidence to train them to do what we want them to do..

hunterbella001.jpg

Best of luck with that dog...! :thun

Charlie

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Charlie,
Luckily, the dog does not live with me. I have some dogs that have the "bird hunting gene" I guess you could say since they have the type of dog in them that hunts birds, but Noah, who has lab and golden retriever in him, has not interests in harming my birds.

I guess you could say that in this area, people do not put up with other peoples dogs terrizing their animals...I've known of some incidents where peoples dogs go missing... now I've never harmed a dog, I have however dealt with many dogs over here actually coming onto my property and terrizing my birds, and many of the owners don't care.
It takes a lot for me to get so angry with a dog that I just want to make it disapear.

Now I get very attached to my birds, like many of you guys, but I get very maternal towards them. I had such a bond with my goslings, and my heart was just torn when I got home to find out what happened.

The dog actually hit Ernies cage until the door opened, killed Ernie, and then hopped over the top of the other brooder tank got inside the brooder and killed my other 2.

It just breaks my heart.

I know how you feel, it is very sad when things like that happen..You do everything possible to protect them and then something like this happens....
we have a nabor below us and he lets his dog run loose some times. A rotti..so far he has been given a citation twice for it chasing my birds and running loose here..
Ive had the gun(7mm mag) out several times. I was told to shoot it by the Pa state police and the Pa state dog warden..
however i don't have it in my heart to kill him the dog..(maybe the owner~LOL)..
If it would keep chasing and try to bite the birds he would be shot..
However if the dog is caught on our property 1 more time the owner goes to Jail for 30 days...
Ive filmed the dog on our property several times also..just encase of a court battle,,
Its not the dogs fault here, it is the owners fault..I hope the dog gets loose one more time so he sits in jail for awhile it may teach him a lesson.
Don't be fooled by a lab..we've had them for many years and they do retrieve well ,but they will also find game-birds, rabbits ,turkeys trying to nest in the bush.Plus they have a awesome sense of smell, that's why many are used for rescues dogs..

Charlie

Last edited:
Both of my dogs are hunting dogs. Well one is because our German Shorthaired Pointer blew out her other ACL this hunting season. I sometimes monitor the dogs and birds but I rarley let my brainless Black Lab near them.

Oh no, this just makes me ill, reading it. I am so very sorry for your loss. Sadly, I know what it's like to lose babies (chicks) to a dog...my own dog for that fact. It is never easy, but I can't imagine having it happen by a relatives pet that doesn't even belong there.

Again, I'm so sorry, :aww

Back
Top Bottom