Lost them all -all my goslings

I too am ill, reading this..
My heart breaks for you, knowing what your babies went through as that dog was breaking in and then attacking them. I am angry right along with you and could spit nails. How utterly thoughtless - stupid - insane - for your aunt to bring the dog there, given its tendencies. And if you knew it was there, you probably weren't comfortable with the idea and I know it must be eating at you now that this has happened.
Ugh - if only we could hit "rewind".
I am so sorry for your babies and for your heartache.
JJ

Thanks you guys.

Yes, JJ... I really wish I could hit rewind. They didn't deserve anything they got. They were completely innocent. I cried so much... and I still have been getting teary.

* And where was your aunt while her pet was wreacking all this havoc, LH??? She KNEW her dog wasn't to be in the house--- for that matter what was SHE doing there when you weren't home??? (I remember your other posts about her.)

I don't want to start any fights, and I can see both sides of this (the dog's and the geese and their loving owner's). Of COURSE the dog should never have had access to the house or the babies, that goes without saying. That comes down to the owner, and her responsibility. Dogs are predators, and some breeds and/or individuals have had their instincts selectively bred out of them more successfully than others. They still have "wolfish" tendencies, ie, to chase small furry or feathered things that run and squeak. I had a golden retriever who was incredibly gentle- he once very carefully caught and returned my runaway hamster in his very soft mouth, but who also once caught and killed a squirrel that ran across the yard in front of him. I now have a much more predatory dog, a malamute mix, whose actions I, as his owner, must take full responsibility for. It is my responsibility to make sure all other animals on my farm are safe, and that he is carefully monitored, and I take that responsibility very seriously. I would NEVER take him to a house that had small pets, and absolutely would never let him range freely in a house or property that was not mine. I understand being mad at the dog for killing the goslings, but that burden is on the dog's owner. It doesn't make the dog a bloodthirsty villain, just a dog. As supposedly "superior" beings, and the species that has created all of our selectively bred and much-loved domesticated animals, we humans are responsible for protecting them from each other and sometimes from themselves (as in not letting one's dog get itself shot by following its natural tendencies). Again, not trying to start any fights, but the burden of responsibility lies with the dog's owner here, not that that makes the loss of your babies any easier.

Back
Top Bottom