Lost to life farm

Fawnpuppet

Chirping
Nov 21, 2021
It was a dark and stormy night... literally. We had a lot of wind and rain that turned to snow. Needless to say, the chickens are not a fan. They decided to stay in their coop for a while. I'm sure they will get out once it warms up a little.

20211215_073639.jpg

Now then, for a bit of an intro: I am fairly new to chicken-keeping, having started in April. I started with 3, a cochin frizzle bantam and 2 Australops. We lost one after a month or so to our dog (lessons learned). We then picked up a lavender orpington and blue Australorp to bring the number of our flock to four. There was a LOT of drama at the place we were staying at so we ended up moving earlier than anticipated (we are building and wasn't planning on moving until it was done). A little bit after I moved down, we brought our flock to their new, permanent home among the southern Utah desert. I was honestly worried how they would handle the sagebrush and lack of grass, but they've adapted quite well. I'm so proud of them.

Oh ya! I suppose I should introduce my flock. I have 3 girls: a lavender orpington, a blue and a black Australorp, and one rooster: our frizzle bantam. Here they are this morning. In order: blue/#5, Friz, B, and #2. I had hoped that "naming" them with numbers would help with attachment issues. It didn't. :p Of the 3 ladies, only #2 is laying. The others are hopefully close. It is winter so I'm not sure if they will start laying but one can hope.
20211215_073735.jpg

Please don't judge me because of the snow in their coop. It was very windy and the wind changed directions multiple times. I'm using Justin Rhodes chickshaw for our coop but it needs to be modified to be good in our windy, snowy weather. I'm still learning. Also, helpful advice is very welcome 😊. We currently have some straw bales and pallets around the coop to keep the wind and most of the snow out of the living quarters. The coop is too small for them to permanently live in, but we have a good size run for them to explore and forage. I also like to let them free range, weather permitting.

To help keep their water from freezing, I have a cookie tin heater. I had to run electricity to their run, but it sure beats going out multiple times a day to deal with water.
20211215_074236.jpg

Well, I suppose that's all for this morning. I hope to keep this going to tell my story. Maybe someone will find it useful, even if it is just to shake your head or laugh at my ineptitude.

It was a dark and stormy night... literally. We had a lot of wind and rain that turned to snow. Needless to say, the chickens are not a fan. They decided to stay in their coop for a while. I'm sure they will get out once it warms up a little.

View attachment 2929975

Now then, for a bit of an intro: I am fairly new to chicken-keeping, having started in April. I started with 3, a cochin frizzle bantam and 2 Australops. We lost one after a month or so to our dog (lessons learned). We then picked up a lavender orpington and blue Australorp to bring the number of our flock to four. There was a LOT of drama at the place we were staying at so we ended up moving earlier than anticipated (we are building and wasn't planning on moving until it was done). A little bit after I moved down, we brought our flock to their new, permanent home among the southern Utah desert. I was honestly worried how they would handle the sagebrush and lack of grass, but they've adapted quite well. I'm so proud of them.

Oh ya! I suppose I should introduce my flock. I have 3 girls: a lavender orpington, a blue and a black Australorp, and one rooster: our frizzle bantam. Here they are this morning. In order: blue/#5, Friz, B, and #2. I had hoped that "naming" them with numbers would help with attachment issues. It didn't. :p Of the 3 ladies, only #2 is laying. The others are hopefully close. It is winter so I'm not sure if they will start laying but one can hope.
View attachment 2929969

Please don't judge me because of the snow in their coop. It was very windy and the wind changed directions multiple times. I'm using Justin Rhodes chickshaw for our coop but it needs to be modified to be good in our windy, snowy weather. I'm still learning. Also, helpful advice is very welcome 😊. We currently have some straw bales and pallets around the coop to keep the wind and most of the snow out of the living quarters. The coop is too small for them to permanently live in, but we have a good size run for them to explore and forage. I also like to let them free range, weather permitting.

To help keep their water from freezing, I have a cookie tin heater. I had to run electricity to their run, but it sure beats going out multiple times a day to deal with water.
View attachment 2929987

Well, I suppose that's all for this morning. I hope to keep this going to tell my story. Maybe someone will find it useful, even if it is just to shake your head or laugh at my ineptitude.
Welcome. I must say, I’m glad you posted about the Justin Rhodes chicken tractor and snow. I live in zone 5, so our snow here at the farm gets thigh high regularly during our windy winters.
I wanted to build one of these with a bit of modification, as my property is very hilly. The wind shifts here on occasion, bringing the snow with it as well. I think I’d be in the same boat.
I considered parking it on the less windy side of the property with hay bales too.
This is helpful and interesting to see. Thanks for this post, it gives me more to consider!
What would you build if you lived on a very hilly property but usually free range or electric net range your chickens?
Most chicken tractors aren’t suited to our inclines. I also need more than 1 for large groups of bird that need to be housed in smaller families and moved by hand.
Since you already have a mobile coop that you’re problem solving, do you have any ideas?

Welcome. I must say, I’m glad you posted about the Justin Rhodes chicken tractor and snow. I live in zone 5, so our snow here at the farm gets thigh high regularly during our windy winters.
I wanted to build one of these with a bit of modification, as my property is very hilly. The wind shifts here on occasion, bringing the snow with it as well. I think I’d be in the same boat.
I considered parking it on the less windy side of the property with hay bales too.
This is helpful and interesting to see. Thanks for this post, it gives me more to consider!
What would you build if you lived on a very hilly property but usually free range or electric net range your chickens?
Most chicken tractors aren’t suited to our inclines. I also need more than 1 for large groups of bird that need to be housed in smaller families and moved by hand.
Since you already have a mobile coop that you’re problem solving, do you have any ideas?
It depends a bit on if you want to rotate pastures. The chickshaw is wonderful for moving around. I built the mini shaw which is only about 4x4 and holds 16-20 birds (I forget the actual number and my brain isn't fully working this morning). You could put it on a less hilly part, if you have it.
If you need something more adjustable, you could try some rv leveling blocks. Camco has some yellow blocks that are about 2" tall and stackable. Get a stack or two of those and use it under the legs. Then get some of the rolling wheel chocks and use those to level the wheels out. (Or use a combination of both.) It would be a bit more work than just moving it, but that's what I'd recommend looking into.
For an open-bottom chicken tractor, I'm not sure if there is a simple solution to that on hills.
Regarding the wind, I'm still working on that :p I have pieces of plywood draped up on the coop as a temporary breaker until I get our table saw. Then I plan on cutting it to size to fit better. What I'm thinking of trying is putting a hinge on the top so I can open it however much I need and put a 2x2 or spare piece of wood to prop it open. This allows me to decide how much air flow I want depending on the wind. On super snowy and windy days, I can close it or only give an inch or few so there is some ventilation. If it's not too bad or in the summer I can leave it wide open. That gives them some shade and protection if need be. I'll post some pics when I get working on it to show before and after. Also, truth be told, I don't have the wheels on yet. :confused: that will come soon though. It's just hard to do things without a saw.

I hope that helps give you some ideas at least 🙂

Edit to add: I have a truck camper shell that sits in their area to keep them protected from the worst of the wind and weather. It's just on the ground currently, but could be propped up on straw bales or something else.
I also have a huge sheet of plywood on the back to deflect the wide up and over. (All the plywood is coming from the scraps of our house that we are building so we are lucky in that respect.) Pallets are also a good, cheap/free resource. If you have a way to deconstruct them (a reciprocating saw is wonderful to cut the nails that hold the pieces together) you can put more slats on it. Then you get wind protection, and depending how close you space them, you can get some ventilation.

Last edited:
It depends a bit on if you want to rotate pastures. The chickshaw is wonderful for moving around. I built the mini shaw which is only about 4x4 and holds 16-20 birds (I forget the actual number and my brain isn't fully working this morning). You could put it on a less hilly part, if you have it.
If you need something more adjustable, you could try some rv leveling blocks. Camco has some yellow blocks that are about 2" tall and stackable. Get a stack or two of those and use it under the legs. Then get some of the rolling wheel chocks and use those to level the wheels out. (Or use a combination of both.) It would be a bit more work than just moving it, but that's what I'd recommend looking into.
For an open-bottom chicken tractor, I'm not sure if there is a simple solution to that on hills.
Regarding the wind, I'm still working on that :p I have pieces of plywood draped up on the coop as a temporary breaker until I get our table saw. Then I plan on cutting it to size to fit better. What I'm thinking of trying is putting a hinge on the top so I can open it however much I need and put a 2x2 or spare piece of wood to prop it open. This allows me to decide how much air flow I want depending on the wind. On super snowy and windy days, I can close it or only give an inch or few so there is some ventilation. If it's not too bad or in the summer I can leave it wide open. That gives them some shade and protection if need be. I'll post some pics when I get working on it to show before and after. Also, truth be told, I don't have the wheels on yet. :confused: that will come soon though. It's just hard to do things without a saw.

I hope that helps give you some ideas at least 🙂

Edit to add: I have a truck camper shell that sits in their area to keep them protected from the worst of the wind and weather. It's just on the ground currently, but could be propped up on straw bales or something else.
I also have a huge sheet of plywood on the back to deflect the wide up and over. (All the plywood is coming from the scraps of our house that we are building so we are lucky in that respect.) Pallets are also a good, cheap/free resource. If you have a way to deconstruct them (a reciprocating saw is wonderful to cut the nails that hold the pieces together) you can put more slats on it. Then you get wind protection, and depending how close you space them, you can get some ventilation.
Thanks. 99% of my property is on a hill. I have only one level area by a creek that’s fine for July and August, but too wet otherwise. I think I’m going to end up having a few different tractors that are moved each in a smaller area, rather than the whole property. Most of it is woods.
I have a mobile chicken coop that is built on an old boat frame but I can’t move it without a machine.
I’m always working on the designs in my head. Over winter, I will need to give it a go.
Enjoy your chickens, and good luck!

Good morning! I left the chicken water out last night to see just how good the heater worked. While I am pleased to say it kept the water warm-ish, it didn't work perfectly. Outside temp got to the teens (currently 17F -8C) and only a portion of the water froze! Enough didn't freeze where I'm ok leaving it out for the chickens to drink. That is, when they decide to finally come out of their coop.
20211217_073138.jpg

It's another cold day and I've been thinking of ways to keep the chickens a bit more comfortable for their sake and my sanity.
I've been reading up on the deep litter method and think I want to try it. The heat from decomposing is a huge plus. Also, to do it I'd have to have a better enclosure than my current setup. Don't get me wrong, I love the mobile coop I have and will not be getting rid of it, but it gets drafty in the winter and I worry what will happen to my flock. So, I've been thinking of creating a static coop for winter with the deep litter. Then, when spring comes, the chickens will go back to their current coop and I use the bedding for my garden.
However, there are a few cons to this idea. One is the actual build. I'm not sure where to put the coop, how to actually do it, and how much it will cost. I'm also not sure what exactly to use for the litter. I'm sure I could figure all this out with a bit of research, but it's still something I'd have to work on.
Second big worry is how well the chickens would adjust to having 2 different homes. They all go into the mobile coop every night. Would they be ok going into more of a house for a few months then transition back?

Anyone have any experience with this and can provide some input?

On a different note: fluffy butt Friday! @BY Bob I've started reading through your story. I may end up skipping a ton (I mean 7000+ pages!!) but it's so informative and fun to start at the beginning and read through your victories and struggles.

On a different note: fluffy butt Friday! @BY Bob I've started reading through your story. I may end up skipping a ton (I mean 7000+ pages!!) but it's so informative and fun to start at the beginning and read through your victories and struggles
I am always somewhat amazed when someone happens along my story and likes it. The thread itself is daunting in size. One thing I will say about my chickens, they are never lacking in drama. Please feel free to comment along the way as it brings back memories for me and those that have stayed with the thread from the beginning. It's fun to reminisce sometimes.

Second big worry is how well the chickens would adjust to having 2 different homes. They all go into the mobile coop every night. Would they be ok going into more of a house for a few months then transition back?
This would be my concern with 2 different coops. They do not reset home easily, especially if the other home is still there. You will see that arise in my thread several times along the way.

Could you somehow improve the mobile coop to be less drafty? Looking at your photos, maybe attach a tarp or even a shower curtain to the outside of the coop to block the wind and snow. Keep in mind you need to maintain ventilation. It does look like your roof line could provide the needed ventilation without the breeze blowing across the hens. I have recently put shower curtains up on my run for this reason.

Here is what I did.

Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-25194344

Your question about the chickens in different coops is something I haven't ever thought of.
I think if your shift was seasonal and not weekly it would be doable. Also, if you park the mobile next to the stationary they would transition easier. You could start by waiting until they roost and then moving them over.
I just read what BY Bob posted, he has more experience with the 2 coop thing. My have several coops and they pick and choose where they go. It changes up pretty regularly.

Could you somehow improve the mobile coop to be less drafty? Looking at your photos, maybe attach a tarp or even a shower curtain to the outside of the coop to block the wind and snow. Keep in mind you need to maintain ventilation. It does look like your roof line could provide the needed ventilation without the breeze blowing across the hens. I have recently put shower curtains up on my run for this reason.

Here is what I did.

Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-25194344
Thank you for the idea. That would actually work quite well because it would also add a bit of a greenhouse effect which would help with the cold. I still worry about the ventilation. I have wire on the bottom, the wavy roof (can't remember what the style is called), openings where the nest boxes are, and the air flow near the roof because it's not airtight by design. Would that be enough but not too drafty? I just worry about the bottom being wire. I do have the 2x4s for roosting bars which helps at night. Would I need to put some sort of wind barrier underneath?

If I can figure things out with what I currently have, that would probably be better overall.

Back
Top Bottom