Lost two birds. Any ideas what might be wrong?

CESOrtega

Songster
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
We lost our oldest girl back in June. She had been trough almost everything imaginable, attacked by coons, possums, hawks, but always found a way to bounce back and still occasionally gave an egg. I noticed she started slowing down and her comb started getting darker, turning purplish. She had some liquid draining from her beak. We searched her up and down looking for wounds or evidence of sour crop or anything that might be amiss. Everything seemed fine but she was losing weight. She couldn't seem to drink. When we gave her water she would suck it down but it would drain right back out. She went down really fast and even laid an egg the day before she died.

Today we lost our golden comet. She was about two years old, maybe three. Again, she started slowing down and her comb looked kind of purple and seemed to be drooling. Yesterday she had an appetite and I didn't notice her having trouble eating. She died pretty quickly, too. She had been through a bout a few months ago where I thought she had egg yolk peritonitis and we were about to euthanize her but she got better. She had not laid an egg in over a year, after the hawk attack I mentioned above. Other than the possible egg bound peritonitis incident and not laying, she was in good health.

Any ideas what it might be?

Back
Top Bottom