Lots of breeding questions

mmeyette

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Snohomish WA
I have Rhode Island Red hens, and a Barred Rock rooster - so this cross would produce what? My understanding is the barring is dominate, so they would look like their daddy? Does the sex link only work the other way?

Also I want to try my hand at raising some broilers, could I cross my BR cockerel with dark Cornish hens and get something worth the hassle? I don't really like the idea of the Cornish Cross breed you order, i hear the mortality rate is like 30%. Since the breed mix is such a mystery - anyone try BR x cornish with any success? I understand they wont grow as fast as the 'super secret breed cornish x' but I think i'm OK with that!! Thanks in advance for the help!

I have been a hobby chicken owner for years and always just had layers, this is my first Rooster and attempt to raise my own chicks! Feel free to educate me :)

I have Rhode Island Red hens, and a Barred Rock rooster - so this cross would produce what? My understanding is the barring is dominate, so they would look like their daddy? Does the sex link only work the other way?

Also I want to try my hand at raising some broilers, could I cross my BR cockerel with dark Cornish hens and get something worth the hassle? I don't really like the idea of the Cornish Cross breed you order, i hear the mortality rate is like 30%. Since the breed mix is such a mystery - anyone try BR x cornish with any success? I understand they wont grow as fast as the 'super secret breed cornish x' but I think i'm OK with that!! Thanks in advance for the help!

I have been a hobby chicken owner for years and always just had layers, this is my first Rooster and attempt to raise my own chicks! Feel free to educate me :)

Sex links only work the other way.

You will not get a broiler. The cross will grow like normal chickens.

I feed restrict the cornish x I have raised and do not have problems with mortality.

Tim

Last edited:
Sex links only work the other way.

You will not get a broiler. The cross will grow like normal chickens.

I feed restrict the cornish x I have raised and do not have problems with mortality.

Tim

But the Cornish are good for meat? So wouldn't the Cornish/rock cross breed be good broilers even if they are not the super growing kind?

I guess my question is if the Cornish/rock would be better for meat than just the rock/rhode island cross, or enough to make it worth it.

Last edited:
But the Cornish are good for meat? So wouldn't the Cornish/rock cross breed be good broilers even if they are not the super growing kind?

I guess my question is if the Cornish/rock would be better for meat than just the rock/rhode island cross, or enough to make it worth it.

The chickens will not be much different than a cornish or a rock. They will have a body type more like a cornish. If you want meat, the best bird to get is the commercial meat birds. It will cost more to raise up a chick and the amount of meat will be much less on a cross you make yourself.

Many people eat the extra cockerels they produce.

Any chicken is good for meat, it is just a matter of time and money you want to spend. In 6 to 8 weeks you can raise a meat type bird and then process the bird. Less time and less feed.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom