lots of pics: what kind of babies are these?

Statix653

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Just got a shipment in from Ideal Poultry and it came with some extra roos for warmth. 9 to be exact! I don't know what to do with them, whether they are fit for caponizing at a later date or if they are pretty much worthless. If anyone could tell me what they are I would be very appreciative because they are eating up my broiler feed!

81045_brown_chicks_5.jpg
81045_brown_chicks_4.jpg

81045_brown_chicks_3.jpg
81045_brown_chicks_2.jpg

81045_brown_chicks_1.jpg

I dont think any animal is worthless, God created all animals and they have a purpose and a means, ask around someone might take them.....good luck!!

Belive it or not, my EE chick looked alot like these little guys. They might even be RIR's, but I doubt it.

I realize this may be a silly question, but I have never had baby chicks before. How can you tell you have 9 roos? And how do they add warmth during shipping? Just wondering?

The poultry farm that i bought them from ships USPS and if you order less than 25 chicks they put extra males in so they can huddle together and stay warm. The reason being is that chicks cant regulate their body temperature very well and they need either an external heat source (Ie: their mom or a heat lamp) or a bunch more to huddle up with in the shipping box.

As far as seeing if they are the same breed as the ones I ordered, they are surely not, I ordered 5 cornish X pullets, 5 white P. Rock pullets and two White Laced Red Cornish roos. I just want to know if they would be good for eating or if I need to find them a home since I cant have 11 roosters running around my yard! It would be a battle royal!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom