Lots of weird eggs from a single hen

Cinnamon11

Songster
May 18, 2020
California
My White leghorn hen (8 months) has been having a lot of egg problems. In the last two days she has laid an egg with a squishy shell later that day she laid a 3 yolked egg with no shell! I know it had no shell because I had checked on them 5 minutes before and when I went to check them again in the place she was the shell less egg was there. Then this morning there was another soft shelled egg! She’s eating and drinking but I’m wondering what’s causing this? Also the other hens have started eating her eggs :barnie what should I do???

Attachments

• 85DCD0F5-457B-475C-8F45-3AC0656C2D95.jpeg
    85DCD0F5-457B-475C-8F45-3AC0656C2D95.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 3
My White leghorn hen (8 months) has been having a lot of egg problems. In the last two days she has laid an egg with a squishy shell later that day she laid a 3 yolked egg with no shell! I know it had no shell because I had checked on them 5 minutes before and when I went to check them again in the place she was the shell less egg was there. Then this morning there was another soft shelled egg! She’s eating and drinking but I’m wondering what’s causing this? Also the other hens have started eating her eggs :barnie what should I do???

There can be lots of reasons why you may be getting soft shell or no shell eggs. They are more common for hens in their first year of laying for sure, as they get into the swing of laying. But also another very common reason for no shell or soft shell eggs is a lack of calcium or other minerals. Do you offer oyster shell or other calcium supplements free choice? What do you feed them.

As for the egg eating, it is common for hens and roosters to eat a no shell egg. As long as they aren't breaking the hard shell eggs open, just make sure to clean up the eggs as best you can when you see them. If they are eating hardshell eggs I find fake eggs will usually stop them. A few pecks on a dummy egg will make them think twice.

Back
Top Bottom