Loud chirping and not pooping - what should I do? [video included]

Cygnis

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
My 4-day-old Light Brahma is having issues pooping. When we we woke up she had pasty butt which I wiped away but now she's just not pooping! I'm really concerned. Here is a video of what she does: http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/ae102/silence_within/?action=view&current=MVI_0096.mp4

She
has not pooped in about an hour whereas her brooder mate poops regularly. I'm about to give her a bath (in a really warm bathroom) to get that butt completely cleaned and hopefully she'll release into the bath.

I read that molasses water is helpful with constipation but I worry about giving a laxative to a 4-day-old chick. At any rate, what dosage should I do? I saw 1 drop per tablespoon of water - does that sound right?

Last edited:
my RIR chick did that and acted like she needed to poop...i had also just cleaned her butt off and a little while later she pooped so im thinking she will be just fine......she did the exact same thing that urs did in the video

That's a tricky one!! Poor thing looks so pitiful in the video. I could tell you what we would do with kittens and puppies, maybe it could work for a chick?? Only after gently stimulating the rectum with warm water and washcloth and still no poop. If you have a thermometer or small syringe you could put vaseline on the tip and gently insert just the tip into the rectum to help stimulate the muscles to push the foreign object out. It gives the feeling that there is something there that needs to come out. Very important that you only barely put it inside the rectum so you don't do any damage to the tissue and surrounding organs.
Maybe a more experienced chicken person will come along and tell you if this could be a potential treatment.
Is the chick eating and drinking? Maybe some electrolytes would help.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! I was soaking her little butt in warm water and she emptied herself quite liberally. I gave her some molasses water and now she seems to be doing fine.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom