Loud Ducks

psyverson

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 26, 2011
So I'm doing the urban farming thing, have 3 4-month old Pekin Hens and 3 4-month old Buff Orp Hens.
They all free range in my yard during the day, and at night I coop them up with an attached run, lots of
space for them to hang out eat, drink, etc...

Thing is I have neighbors on either side of me, I've kept the peace by getting in good with the neighbors
and offering them eggs (when they start laying which I haven't seen yet) and their kids love feeding them
watermelon and tomatoes. I too have really enjoyed having almost no food go to waste, as all my veggie
scraps are used as treats for the birds (they love melon, tomatoes, and cooked potatoes especially).

Issue is, the ducks quack so so so loud, and one of my neighbors who rents is moving out due to the
noise (or so they say as we've told them to please please tell us if they have any issues with noise
etc... and they haven't come to us at all).

Anyway, long story short, my plan is to maybe tarp the coop and run to make the ducks think it
is night while they are cooped up, and then letting them out at 10am to free range til about 7pm
and then back in the coop. Will the tarp and resulting darkness keep them from quacking at sunup?

They have ample water and food as well as space, but a 6am quacking wakeup call make me think
either they are just loud birds OR I'm doing something wrong.

-Pete

Usually around 8am after I've watered the garden and let the dogs (who don't even care about the ducks of chicks)
out. But I'm home til 10am usually so I can always let them out later, but sometimes at 6am when they get
up is when they quack.

And i HATE to think I am THAT neighbor who is bothering the hood. I am super approachable and have asked my
neighbors to let me know if they have ANY problems.

The problem is that even some people that you ask to let you know if there is a problem won't. Some people don't like to confront others even if they have been told it is okay. I don't think that trying to keep it darker will help. A: ducks are active at night anyway B: There will be more activity in the neighborhood in the morning so the ducks will hear that.

I used to have runners and there were times that they were ridiculously loud at any time of day(I am in the suburbs with neighbors on all sides). I was lucky enough to never have any complaints though my DH said he heard the new neighbors behind us commenting on the quacking. I switched to muscovy (not because of noise but because I wanted to). When I researched breeds I stayed away from those that were supposed to be talkers. Sorry but Pekin are known to be chatty.

I would be more worried about the landlord of the renters who are moving. If the landlord finds out that they are losing tenants (IE: money) they will probably cause you problems.

Are ducks legal in your area? If they are, you at least have a leg to stand on, if not
sad.png

If you notice that there are times that your ducks get louder, mine used to quack whenever I would go outside because I ususally had a treat, change your routine. My runners would be ridiculous first thing in the morning because they wanted out. I would shush them with different sounds. They would stop quacking in order to hear me and I was quick about letting them out.

It is GREAT that you are trying to be a good neighbor. Good luck.

Neighbors are weird, the landlord is the one who told us this, but this is the same guy who sits in his car blaring music at 2am.

Hah, funny, I got Pekins cause I thought or read some bad info that they were the LEAST chatty of all ducks. darn.

A work in progress... thanks,

Pete

Back
Top Bottom