LOUD new chick

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
Hi! I got three new chicks yesterday - I also have two (started with three) three week old chicks and three 10 week old pullets.

I was planning on putting the newbies and three week olds together but wanted to give the newbies a day or so to settle because the three week olds are wild. Two of the three are great. The Easter egger is non-stop chirping and LOUD.

I lost my other Easter egger from the second group when she was three days old. She was also loud.

With this group, I saw some suspicious poop so I started corrid. They also have probiotics, chick starter, and chick mash (starter w/warm water). I gave her some nutridrench last night. Anything else? Should I keep up with the nutridrench? The other two eat and are very quiet...she just stands there and screams. No pasty butt either.

Attachments

• D317FF96-1030-4962-A56F-200D2ADC0654.jpeg
    D317FF96-1030-4962-A56F-200D2ADC0654.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 41
trying some cooked yolk next. Has anyone given corrid via direct dose / syringe? I know I read a thread on here and am having trouble finding it again.

How old are the new chicks exactly?

It might be chirping loudly because of stress, thirst, hunger, feeling too cold or too hot or because it is calling for her siblings.

How old are the new chicks exactly?

It might be chirping loudly because of stress, thirst, hunger, feeling too cold or too hot or because it is calling for her siblings.
They have to be within a week old. I got them from my local agrarian who gets them from Myers. There are some small feathers but all fuzz otherwise. She has two friends (not siblings), and the other two are content...they eat, drink, then pass out under the heat plate. Sometimes they jump around for a minute And flap their wings. She just sits there and peep peep peep peep peep like she’s being eaten alive.

Attachments

• 86D5E8E5-A1A0-4D03-AE58-CE530CD85969.jpeg
    86D5E8E5-A1A0-4D03-AE58-CE530CD85969.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 15
Maybe, have you been holding them lots?
I’m not really holding them at all - wanted to give them some time to settle. I have taken her out about four times over the past 20 hours to give nutridrench or see if she will eat egg yolk or mash. She doesn’t want anything to do with food, even though I put the yolk and mash in the brooder with them after she refused it from my lap.

I’m not really holding them at all - wanted to give them some time to settle. I have taken her out about four times over the past 20 hours to give nutridrench or see if she will eat egg yolk or mash. She doesn’t want anything to do with food, even though I put the yolk and mash in the brooder with them after she refused it from my lap.
Hmm so maybe not a imprinted chick...

They have to be within a week old. I got them from my local agrarian who gets them from Myers. There are some small feathers but all fuzz otherwise. She has two friends (not siblings), and the other two are content...they eat, drink, then pass out under the heat plate. Sometimes they jump around for a minute And flap their wings. She just sits there and peep peep peep peep peep like she’s being eaten alive.
I would try and feed some oatmeal and millet by sprinkling it in front of her on a dark terry-cloth towel to create contrast, and pecking with my finger at it until she starts to peck as well.
She seems to be no older than three or four days and maybe did not learn yet how to eat, as they need someone to show them.
Does she drink on her own? If not, prepare some Nutri drench or similar and use a dropper or straw to suck up some drops of the liquid and then making contact with her beak, so she will peck at it and swallow. Be careful and wait after each drop, or she might aspirate the liquid into her airways.

Make sure she is warm enough and knows where to find the heat source. If she was used to a heat lamp she might not know how to huddle under the plate and might just be cold.

Back
Top Bottom