"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    If your going to feed it to raise up broilers for only 12 to 16 or whatever weeks yeah I don't see a thing wrong with feeding it to them as you surely don't have to worry about the the long term effects it may have on the metabolic system. They got some pretty powerful stuff in those feeds formulated for industrial/commercial broilers some things you surely wouldn't wont your hens that you expect to have around for a spell to be eating/passing on in the eggs, much less in your diet everyday (if most only knew) anyway I shall hush my mouth and say:

How do[​IMG] to the La-yers and Byc-ers today its cold up here in the Mountains of northern Vernon Parish this mornin' [​IMG]

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    good afternoon all! so nice here - so cool -- so sunny!! I love fall!

Jim is out in Albuquerque w/his good friend Bob for the International Balloon Fiesta - Bob is owner & pilot of Ski Lift --

here's a nice fall pic of Ski Lift coming in for a landing, flying low over our cotton fields -- (they had already been picked once but still looked pretty)--

[​IMG]

3. cajun backwoods

cajun backwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    reeves, la.
    celie i ordored some of the same broilers and i talked to my feed store and im gonna use a non medicated grower after 2 weeks till butcher time, they didnt carry it either but they can get it, most feed stores have a alot of options to ordor but alot dont like to ordor different stuff because the dont get as big of a discount or they dont want to have to start handleing another feed if people start liking it, its like they try to get their customers trained to use certain feeds so they dont have to handle alot of different ones but they can usually get it, and the only reason i know this is i cover a friend of mines feed store when they need time off, i would check with another feed store if they dont want to help you because i almost bet money they can, i will find out again what the break down of the feed im getting and let you know the exact name and everything but it will be tomorrow after the store opens, i hope this helps

4. cajun backwoods

cajun backwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    reeves, la.
    [​IMG]
    my cuckoo marans just started laying about a week and a half ago and already gave me a double yoker[​IMG]

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

What a great photo! Always wanted to go,.. still on the list!

6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    [​IMG] Very nice! where'd you get them from? I still have one old girl & she's always been a good layer - never a double yolker though.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

So glad that you posted. I took a pic of my maran's eggs this weekend as well. Don't you just love the chocolate eggs?

[​IMG]

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Thank you for your input. Much appreciated! :thumbsup

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Game bird and flockraiser are not the same. I feed my poults and turkeys 30% gamebird and the others are fed Flockraiser.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Terri, here is an updated pic of Prince. Here's my big spoiled rotten boy. I hope he continues to be as tame as he is. He will let me walk up to him and he then jumps on my arm. I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to support him when he gets to be too heavy. I think I will need one of those gloves that those handlers use when they work with eagles, vultures or other larger birds. His claws (feet) are deadly!

He is on top of the chicken house. His favorite spot. The top is aluminum and it is so funny to see him running back and forth on the tin roof. I think he likes the way it sounds when he runs. I will have to video tape him doing this. He looks so funny. :lau

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by