"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    50 plus 2 free, with shipping came to $62.44. In case anyone is interested.

2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    If he just wants eggs, I have chicks hatching out from brown all heavy duel purpose eggs that he can have,free, if he wants to come to Tickfaw, to pick them up or some pullets/hens, cheap ! I just have too many chickens. Someone ordered some chicks and then couldn't take them. I am 1/2 mile off exit 36 on I-55 I don't know if that's too far for him, but I will make it worth the trip with free chicks.

3. Chickentalk

Chickentalk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    Welcome, Rick. I lived in Blanchard at one time. Now live in Folsom and just got 5 adorable Sizzles from Chris Herzog. When I lived in Blanchard I raised and showed collies. What kind of chickens do you have?:)

4. Cajun Chooks

Cajun Chooks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    Lafayette La
    Welcome to BYC!!

There's a guy in that area that raises some Coronation Sussex, his name is Thomas Mangam. I think he also raises chiwawas.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Thanks for the tip.

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Not bad at all. :thumbsup

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    The only thing with trying to replicate those broiler type crosses is you are working with a hybid bird already so you cannot expect to get the same results even if you did get them to sucessfully mate or AI them it is the same as breeding a sex-link to a sex-link and expecting them to produce a like sex-link. Can't/won't happen they will often come out in multiple different varieties and because the broilers and most egg production type sex links are often a 4 way hybidized cross that begins way back to the grandparent stock. You can cross a White Rock over a White Cornish(or vice versa) and get a pretty decent meat type bird just the same as crossing your Production red rooster over your Barred rock hens and get BSL's but your just not getting the same exact high production/feed efficient, industry/commercial type birds.

Ok enough Breeding class 101

good mornin La-yers and BYC-ers [​IMG]

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

How is your new baby Gracie?

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I'm right down the road from you. I work in Lafayette. Welcome to BYC! :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by