"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I'm not far from Washington. Holler at me when you're in town. :frow

2. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    Still not standing like she should but getting better. She is still sitting back on her legs, but is able to hold her body higher. I'm going to give her a couple weeks to see if it improves.

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I hope she gets better. Is she eating and drinking ok?

Gracie? Did you find another place to buy your Flockraiser pellets? It's feed day for me and I'm trying to figure out what to do. TSC only sells Flockraiser crumble and I don't like crumble.

Does anyone know where I can get Flockraiser pellets? Or any other type of pellet feed that all ages of poultry, waterfowl and game birds can eat? This feed thing is driving me crazy!

Has anyone ever heard of feeding poulty "dairy pellets"? A lady at a feed store was telling me that she feeds her chickens dairy pellets. I was like, "HUH"?

Ingredients are as follows:
    Processed grain by-products
    Grain Products
    Plant protein products
    Roughage products (???)
    Healcellulose extract
    Calcium Carbonate
    Salt
    Vitamin-A acetate
    O-activated anisal sterol
    Vitamin E supplement
    Traces of Manganous oxide
    Ferrous carbonate
    Calcium Sulfate
    Copper Oxide
    Zinc Oxide

Protein - 18%
    Fat - 2.0%
    Fiber - 14%

4. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    She is eating and drinking well! She is also very alert and talkative. I'm thinking she will recover, but it's just a waiting game right now.

G&H Seed in Iowa, LA sells the flock raiser in pellets. They are charging $17.50 a bag. I don't know what kind of bulk discount they give. Do you have a local feed mill that could do a custom mix for you? If you can buy in bulk and store it, that may be your best bet. I'd buy in bulk if I had the place to store it!

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Glad to hear about your baby.

Yes, there is a feed mill but the cost still averages about $18.00 a bag. So it's no savings going that route. :(

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    SALT is the one main thing you have to watch out when feeding gross amounts of other livestock feed, these rations are developed for Large animal diets so they are formulated with way more concentrated amount of salt per lb. than poultry rations. even though most fowl esp. chickens have a strong constitution/cast iron gut, their excretory systems/kidneys are delicate and excessive amounts of salt is hard for them to process(they don't sweat either, too) LOL

jeff

7. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    You can't ask your feed store to just order it for you? If they will just get a few bags of crumbles to hold you over until it comes in. My feed store orders my feed for me special and now they stock it just for me. It might be worth asking them.

Chris

8. LAchickenMESS

LAchickenMESS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Celie-
    still have chicks? I'm willing to drive. I'm ready for more now that mine are laying, but not sitting.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  9. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    I went to buy feed today and the feed store near me does not carry flockraiser or broiler feed at all. I told them I thought it was an 18% protien feed that could be fed to all types of poultry. She went to check with the buyer, manager and told me it was the same as game bird feed? Does this sound right. I wanted it for the Cornish X boilers several of us are buying from Meyers.[​IMG]

10. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    You can do a few things.....Get the tags off the bags and compare or just go on line and look it up. Does that feed store sell Purina products? if not what feed do they sell? I use a feed called Purina Show Bird and Broiler Complete. I actually use both that and the Purina Flock Raiser. Nutrina has a feed for Meat Birds that is also good.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by