"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I may have gotten off track here as I was still thinking of the feeding of the cow feed to the 50 or so broilers if it is 18% grower yes that will suffice but I will forewarn you if you feed them like they are to be fed be prepared to spend major dough on a feed bill, just saying here: It is not cheaper by any means to grow your own poultry for butchering it may more healthy but most definitely not cheaper. [​IMG] BTDT

Jeff

2. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    We ended up feeding our broilers substantially more that the hatchery claimed it would take to get them to slaughter size. The meat was good, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was worth the effort!

3. Cajun Chooks

Cajun Chooks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    Lafayette La
    Does anyone have or know someone who has some heritage RIR's?

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    He's gorgeous! I have to get some updated pics of Amtrak & Acela - they are sure growing up fast!

Your Marans eggs are gorgeous too!

5. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Chis has some and Jeff has some and I have three - 2 pullets & a roo - but don't get many eggs out of them yet. I want to hatch some more - they are so pretty!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

What are "heritage" RIR's? :oops:

7. Cajun Chooks

Sep 20, 2012
    Lafayette La
    I'm trying to find a trio for my Aunt, she raises them for eggs/meat and wants some darker RIR's than he has now. I'll hatch eggs if anyone has any too.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  8. Cajun Chooks

Sep 20, 2012
    Lafayette La
    The older lines that are dark mahogany and larger than the hatchery stock.

9. cajun backwoods

cajun backwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    reeves, la.
    you are deffinately right it is not cheaper, i feed mine regular medicated chick starter for the first 2 weeks then for the next 4 to 6 weeks i feed an 18% non medicated chick grower from lone star, and i also let them eat grass as i move their pen over every other day, it does make it alot more work but my daughtor has medical problems and her body holds on to the medicine they put in alot of the broiler feeds so i have to feed non medicated for her and thats really the main reason i do this.

10. cajun backwoods

cajun backwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    reeves, la.
    i got them from a guy in dry creek, it was the only 2 he had left, i just got em because they were cheap but im about to build another pen and get a few more girls and roo so i can hatch some pure breds so i will be looking for some shortly. but this is the first double yoker we got but so far they are laying some huge eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by