"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cajun backwoods

cajun backwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    reeves, la.
    those are real nice im hopeing to get me some more very soon [​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Gotcha ;)

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

They are so pretty, I hate to crack them open to cook them. I just like looking at them in the fridge. :lau

4. Cajun Chooks

Cajun Chooks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    Lafayette La
    I'm thinking "Yum Yum"

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:yuckyuck

:lau

6. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    I have a question for everybody who hatches ducks in an incubator... I have my temp locked in at 99.5, the problem I'm having is with the humidity. I am using a little giant 9200, I have filled up all the indention's for water filled and it brought me to 50%, I added a large sponge and brought it up to 60%... I need to get it up to 85%... Any ideas on how to raise it?

7. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    They sell Purina brand, at Hammond feed and seed, where I went, but only in the laying pellets and chick starter, others are Country Acres brand, but thy do not sell either flock raiser, nor a Broiler feed. I'll have to check the labels!

8. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    That would be GREAT! Thank you

9. chickenguru

chickenguru Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Kentwood La.
    You could go right across town to tractor supply and get the flock raiser if you wanted it.

10. chickenguru

chickenguru Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Kentwood La.
    As far as raising the cornish cross goes I have had a lot better luck NOT feeding them as recommended.
    The first ones that I raised I fed as I was instructed to. By the time they were 5 weeks old the were nearly ready to butcher
    but could barely get around.
    The next batch that I raised I backed off of the feed and only filled the 1 feeder up 1x/day and kept plenty of water for them.
    After about two weeks I started taking them out of the brooder and put them on the ground to learn how to forage if the weather was
    good enough to. By the time they were 4-5 weeks old I would let them free range all day and they would go to the feed when they wanted to.
    They grew off a good bit slower but I had no problems with the body outgrowing the legs and in my opinion a tastier bird.
    Fed 20% chick starter/grower the whole time and added a little corn into their diet when they were around 5-6 weeks old.
    Cornish cross will free range and forage if they don't grow so quick and you take the time to let them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by