"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

So glad that you posted. I took a pic of my maran's eggs this weekend as well. Don't you just love the chocolate eggs?
those are real nice im hopeing to get me some more very soon
droolin.gif

I have a question for everybody who hatches ducks in an incubator... I have my temp locked in at 99.5, the problem I'm having is with the humidity. I am using a little giant 9200, I have filled up all the indention's for water filled and it brought me to 50%, I added a large sponge and brought it up to 60%... I need to get it up to 85%... Any ideas on how to raise it?

You can do a few things.....Get the tags off the bags and compare or just go on line and look it up. Does that feed store sell Purina products? if not what feed do they sell? I use a feed called Purina Show Bird and Broiler Complete. I actually use both that and the Purina Flock Raiser. Nutrina has a feed for Meat Birds that is also good.

Chris
They sell Purina brand, at Hammond feed and seed, where I went, but only in the laying pellets and chick starter, others are Country Acres brand, but thy do not sell either flock raiser, nor a Broiler feed. I'll have to check the labels!

celie i ordored some of the same broilers and i talked to my feed store and im gonna use a non medicated grower after 2 weeks till butcher time, they didnt carry it either but they can get it, most feed stores have a alot of options to ordor but alot dont like to ordor different stuff because the dont get as big of a discount or they dont want to have to start handleing another feed if people start liking it, its like they try to get their customers trained to use certain feeds so they dont have to handle alot of different ones but they can usually get it, and the only reason i know this is i cover a friend of mines feed store when they need time off, i would check with another feed store if they dont want to help you because i almost bet money they can, i will find out again what the break down of the feed im getting and let you know the exact name and everything but it will be tomorrow after the store opens, i hope this helps
That would be GREAT! Thank you

As far as raising the cornish cross goes I have had a lot better luck NOT feeding them as recommended.
The first ones that I raised I fed as I was instructed to. By the time they were 5 weeks old the were nearly ready to butcher
but could barely get around.
The next batch that I raised I backed off of the feed and only filled the 1 feeder up 1x/day and kept plenty of water for them.
After about two weeks I started taking them out of the brooder and put them on the ground to learn how to forage if the weather was
good enough to. By the time they were 4-5 weeks old I would let them free range all day and they would go to the feed when they wanted to.
They grew off a good bit slower but I had no problems with the body outgrowing the legs and in my opinion a tastier bird.
Fed 20% chick starter/grower the whole time and added a little corn into their diet when they were around 5-6 weeks old.
Cornish cross will free range and forage if they don't grow so quick and you take the time to let them.

Back
Top Bottom