"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Hey Julie! CONGRATULATIONS on your BYC Spirit award! [​IMG] (and forgive me if I am slow - just now noticed it). [​IMG]

2. Mgui35

Mgui35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2010
    Sulphur Louisiana
    Quote:OK Twiley, my daughter really wants to come over and look at your ducks, geese, and chickens. OK I'm lying, I want to, but I will bring her with me because she is the animal lover out of my 3 kids. PM me with a day thats convenient for me to come over. Mike (Sulphur)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Quote:I haven't bought the vaccine yet but I believe it would be through a vet. You would vaccinate all of your chickens. I believe you can vaccinate one day old birds as well. Check the directions or ask the vet. As for vaccinating the birds while they are infected I don't know. But like Kuntrygirl said, once they get fowlpox they are immune to the disease for the rest of their lives but they will be carriers of it from then on.

There is a vaccine at Jefferslivestock.com called Chick-N-Pox TC and Poxine. But vaccinating your birds that already have fowl pox it is a waste of money and useless. Once they have it, you cannot do anything about it. The vaccine will not help the virus go away or speed up the healing process. It will go away on it's own. I know that this is new to you, so don't be alarmed. I have first hand experience with this and it's not as bad as you think.

New2TheCoop, how many birds do you have?

23 all together... 11 in the coop with the infected birds... And 12 roosters that I plan on eating in a separate pen... Should I move them away from the infected flock?

4. grambysfarm

grambysfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2010
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Quote:OK Twiley, my daughter really wants to come over and look at your ducks, geese, and chickens. OK I'm lying, I want to, but I will bring her with me because she is the animal lover out of my 3 kids. PM me with a day thats convenient for me to come over. Mike (Sulphur)

Mike, I'd love you have you over. Let's say sometime late next week. I have GOT to get something built for my pheasants. I have six that have been living in a bird cage for a couple of weeks now, and I hatched six more yesterday. I also have six more eggs that are due to hatch in another week or two. I went from never being able to hatch a pheasant to all of a sudden having to think about where I'm going to put them. Gosh, I sure love my new incubator!! [​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:There is a vaccine at Jefferslivestock.com called Chick-N-Pox TC and Poxine. But vaccinating your birds that already have fowl pox it is a waste of money and useless. Once they have it, you cannot do anything about it. The vaccine will not help the virus go away or speed up the healing process. It will go away on it's own. I know that this is new to you, so don't be alarmed. I have first hand experience with this and it's not as bad as you think.

New2TheCoop, how many birds do you have?

23 all together... 11 in the coop with the infected birds... And 12 roosters that I plan on eating in a separate pen... Should I move them away from the infected flock?

I sent you a detailed PM on documentation (an email) from the state vet who deals with NPIP testing about fowl pox.

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Quote:My friends are actually in Hackberry now and coming back up on Friday. Would that be a good day to meet them in Sulpher ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  7. grambysfarm

Sep 13, 2010
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Quote:My friends are actually in Hackberry now and coming back up on Friday. Would that be a good day to meet them in Sulpher ?

Yes; Friday I will likely be at our property in Sulphur trying to build a Pheasant Coop. Depending on what time they come through Sulphur they can maybe meet me there. Our property is about 4 miles to the west of Hwy 27 if they will be traveling through Dequincy.

Also, on my two lavendar/blue sebastopols -- An "expert" in England has identified them as "Blue Pied". He said that they appear to be carrying the pied gene and a blue gene. What can you tell me about the pied gene? If I breed this blue pied to a white will all of the offspring be pied or should I get solid whites and/or solid blues as well? The reason I ask is that supposedly all white sebastopols carry a blue gene, therefore, theoritically we should be able to get blue offspring by breeding to white.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:OMG Twiley they are so cute!!! [​IMG] I'm so glad they made it here okay!! [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Thanks for the tip. Hubby and I said that if we needed to we'd put a few slits in it and that way the water could drain through!! That's a great idea on the roses!! [​IMG]

10. grambysfarm

Sep 13, 2010
    Sulphur, Louisiana

Yes; Friday I will likely be at our property in Sulphur trying to build a Pheasant Coop. Depending on what time they come through Sulphur they can maybe meet me there. Our property is about 4 miles to the west of Hwy 27 if they will be traveling through Dequincy.

Also, on my two lavendar/blue sebastopols -- An "expert" in England has identified them as "Blue Pied". He said that they appear to be carrying the pied gene and a blue gene. What can you tell me about the pied gene? If I breed this blue pied to a white will all of the offspring be pied or should I get solid whites and/or solid blues as well? The reason I ask is that supposedly all white sebastopols carry a blue gene, therefore, theoritically we should be able to get blue offspring by breeding to white.

Mike, I got more information on your gosling. He comes from Cottage Rose. Her website is: http://www.freewebs.com/cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms/whitesebastopols.htm

The parents of the gosling are: Gander (Saddleback - "Chaps") and Goose (White - "Chiffon"). Since the gander is smooth breasted and the goose is curly breasted you have a 50/50 chance of him being curly breasted. It's hard to tell at this age. You will be able to tell when the tail feathers start growing. If they kinda stand up and are fan shaped it will be curly breasted, whereas if the tail feathers lay flat like your duck's feathers it will be smooth breasted. In any case, the feathers on the back and thighs will be curly and drape over the sides. With some geese the feathers are curlier and fluffier and some will have longer feathers. It just depends on the genetics behind them. Also, since the gander is a saddleback, your gosling will also carry the recessive saddleback gene. I don't know what color it will be. Cottage Rose said it would be a "splash" so I assume it may be gray and white. The splash could be heavily colored or lightly colored. I think it's possible that it could also turn out to be solid white. Only time will tell. You will want to read up on the saddleback gene. It is also called the "spotted gene". In some breedings, you could end up with offspring that have a couple of black spots or lots of black spots like a Dalmation. I'm just giving you a heads up so that you can plan your pairings carefully. In order to get saddleback offspring both parents have to carry the recessive saddleback gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by