"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Hubby and I said that if we needed to we'd put a few slits in it and that way the water could drain through!! That's a great idea on the roses!!
thumbsup.gif

The tarps filling with water -- that happened to me twice on my dog kennels. That's why I switched to vinyl roofing sheets.

I think the roses are a great idea too!

Twiley on your pied goose -- I know in peafowl, pied is a pattern, not a color. If you breed a pied peacock to a white peacock, some of the offspring will be pied and some will be white. Your white offspring will be split to pied. Now the genetics of blue are so bizarre I don't know, but I would think that, yes, you would get blue, white & pied offspring. Going to be interesting to find out, won't it?!

Then it gets incredibly more complicated if your peas are "split" to another color (all of mine are split to other colors so I really have no idea what all I'll be hatching next year, except I know at least some of them are going to be really colorful)! My 2 pea girls are both India Blue split white, Romeo is silver pied split peach & D'artagnan is buford bronze split silver pied (if I'm remembering correctly). Infinite possibilities.....!

Quote:
Terri, it sounds like you WILL have lots of fun in the spring. That's very exciting! We're just finishing up with this spring and I'm already excited about the new posssibilities for next spring.

The peacock genetics sound very much like the Sebastopols. Sometimes you breed two white geese and think you're going to get white offspring but that doesn't always hold true. Some of the geese are not what they appear because of the recessive genes they're carrying. I was so baffled when I hatched my buff saddleback from two gray saddleback parents. You really need to know what the parents look like and the genetics behind them to be able to plan your breeding program because some of the colors and patterns are dependent on both parents carrying the recessive gene(s).

That's where I am now with my new goslings. I'm trying to figure out who's carrying the saddleback genes, and what colors I have. Then, of course, I need to determine their sex so that I can PLAN my breedings for next year. It's looking like one of my goslings will be a curly buff saddleback. At least, I'm hoping that the gosling continues to turn buff as I'm seeing several buff feathers. One of my goals for this year was to get a curly buff gosling to be able to breed for curly breasted buff saddlebacks. I didn't think it was going to happen this year. But, I'm very hopeful at this point that I may have gotten lucky.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds like a great idea Pete ,.. we use pine straw when I have it raked and oak tree leaves when they are clean,.. make the coop smell good ( for a little while anyway
roll.png
).. as long as they are dry and have no fungus or mold on them. If you try it,. post how it worked for you.

Found a cool website with lots of good info for newbies,, and even some of us "overrun with chickens" people called "Poultry Podiatry" if anyone want to check it out.

https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

That is a great website. I found that website a few week ago when I was looking for PT for a chick with a bad leg. Thanks for posting that information.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
LOL - I came home from work the other day for lunch & just as I was fitting my key in the back door, I hear this weird noise - you know we have those 2 huge fig trees & they're so thick & green right now you can't see in the back very well -- anyway, we had seen a new stray cat the night before & I thought "O my gosh, that poor cat's hurt"! -- it sounded again & I started looking everywhere -- sounded like it was right directly behind me -- well you know what it was -- the peas were "practicing"! Those rascals can throw their voices, I swear! I laughed so hard at myself and them. I was so sure it was a badly injured cat. When I call to them, they call back to me. Romeo is going to be absolutely gorgeous when he gets his full tail, & the more I see D'art fan the more I love the Buford Bronze color (& wish I had a bronze mate for him)!

yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif

LOL @ rascals throwing their voices. Gotta love it.

Quote:
LOL - I came home from work the other day for lunch & just as I was fitting my key in the back door, I hear this weird noise - you know we have those 2 huge fig trees & they're so thick & green right now you can't see in the back very well -- anyway, we had seen a new stray cat the night before & I thought "O my gosh, that poor cat's hurt"! -- it sounded again & I started looking everywhere -- sounded like it was right directly behind me -- well you know what it was -- the peas were "practicing"! Those rascals can throw their voices, I swear! I laughed so hard at myself and them. I was so sure it was a badly injured cat. When I call to them, they call back to me. Romeo is going to be absolutely gorgeous when he gets his full tail, & the more I see D'art fan the more I love the Buford Bronze color (& wish I had a bronze mate for him)!

yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif

Holy moly Kuntrygirl! 45 ducklings! Wow, hard to believe you don't use an incubator.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif

Holy moly Kuntrygirl! 45 ducklings! Wow, hard to believe you don't use an incubator.
thumbsup.gif

Yea, that was only with 5 adult females. I have 4 others setting on eggs right now. As crazy as this sounds, I don't think that I would know how to use an incubator.
hide.gif

I read about people talking about humidity, moisture, temperature, etc. I'm not home enough to check on all of that. I leave out at 7:00 AM don't get in until 5:30 PM. I'm sure doing that time, something would go wrong and I would kill the poor eggs. I just let all of the hens do the incubating. All I have to do is make sure they have food and water. I can do food and water but I can't do humidity, moisture and temps. Maybe one day I will learn. I would have to start off with a small incubator. If I ever get to the level that you and the other incubator experts on this thread are on, then I I may be ok. Until then, I'm still living in a cave under a rock as far as incubators.
hmm.png

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Yea, that was only with 5 adult females. I have 4 others setting on eggs right now. As crazy as this sounds, I don't think that I would know how to use an incubator.
hide.gif

I read about people talking about humidity, moisture, temperature, etc. I'm not home enough to check on all of that. I leave out at 7:00 AM don't get in until 5:30 PM. I'm sure doing that time, something would go wrong and I would kill the poor eggs. I just let all of the hens do the incubating. All I have to do is make sure they have food and water. I can do food and water but I can't do humidity, moisture and temps. Maybe one day I will learn. I would have to start off with a small incubator. If I ever get to the level that you and the other incubator experts on this thread are on, then I I may be ok. Until then, I'm still living in a cave under a rock as far as incubators.
hmm.png

To be honest, that's why I wanted some Muscovies. Plus, I had been eyeing Cottage Rose's Muscovies for some time. I'm hoping that next spring mine will be setting so that I can use them to help hatch some of those goose eggs. You have had such great success with them, and other people have told me the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom