"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Heart attack? I hope not. Glad you were there for him. So much for a peaceful afternoon with the house to yourself. By the way I might have to do a 12 step program for Paromi! That stuff is so good!!

Brother in law is at home. He's been scheduled for a MRI for Monday. He already sees a cardiologist, but there is some question about one of his ribs causing the shortness do breath. Poor guy had to deal with my MIL drama at the ER. FULL drama/ attention mode.

LOVE the Paromi!! I saw a chocolate one on their website. I WANT IT! I have four different ones in the pantry right now. I put a teaspoon on honey in whichever kind I'm drinking.

Hi I am from Big Bend right past Bordelonville. I am new to this sight and new to raising chickens. So any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Welcome over to the La-yers thread! I am not familiar with that town. About where is it?

A big piece of advice is you can NEVER be TOO predator proof, and a few extra dollars into coop and pen defense now will save you from killed and injured birds and damaged coops later. Always pick hardware cloth over chicken wire anytime you can. Predators will go through chicken wire like butter. Use strong and not easy to manipulate latches. Raccoons are smart devils and will clean shop in a coop.

At least you have understanding neighbors willing to own up to their pets damage. It is very unfortunate it happened and your birds had to loose their lives so horrifically, but at least they aren't the kind of people that don't give a fart. Hopefully her actions will be as sound as her words and she will keep the dog reigned in now that she knows what he is capable of. That's the worst part about keeping livestock is someday something is going to get something you have even if you try to be very careful. You never want it to and you hope it won't but there's only so much you can control. At least you had the cameras and were able to know exactly what happened. If you hadn't found out it was a dog attack so quickly then the neighbors wouldn't know they have a bird killer and it would have been much more likely to happen again, maybe worse the next time. You handled the situation with a calm head and maturity I don't know if I would have been able to reach with grief and fire in my belly with the situation.
hugs.gif

X 2 I could not have said it better. Glad she stepped up & made it as right as she could.

Brother in law is at home. He's been scheduled for a MRI for Monday. He already sees a cardiologist, but there is some question about one of his ribs causing the shortness do breath. Poor guy had to deal with my MIL drama at the ER. FULL drama/ attention mode.

LOVE the Paromi!! I saw a chocolate one on their website. I WANT IT! I have four different ones in the pantry right now. I put a teaspoon on honey in whichever kind I'm drinking.

Hope he finds out what's wrong -- what a scare!!

Ok. Here is an update to the massacre story.

I went outside to bring the Tom turkey outside to get some fresh air. After I put him in the pen and got him situated, the other Toms ran to the dog kennel pen and started pacing around it trying to get inside to beat him up. They know that he is injured and they want to finish him off so that they can take his rank. After I closed the dog kennel door, I saw the lady drive up and check her mail. So, I knew that she would get t the letter . So, I came back in and started watching TV and waited to see how long it would take for her to come over.

Well, 10 minutes later, someone knocked on the door. I looked at the security cameras and I saw that it was my neighbor. I went outside and she said that she had got the note. She went on to explain that she had let the dog out to run around and he saw all of the animals and ran across the street. She said that a friend of hers called her to tell her that he almost hit her dog. She said that she knew he had come over here. She said that she wasn't sure exactly what he did but she was waiting to talk to me to let me know.

I explained to her what happened as I saw it on the camera recording and offered her to take a look at it. She said no that she didn't need to look at the camera because she believed every word I said and she knew that her dog had come over here. She was so upset about what happened and was even more upset and angry at the dog. She said that she will only let him out when she is outside and he never runs off but this time he got in his mind to run behind the animals and he came over to my house. She said that her husband was not home when the incident happened and she was glad that he wasn't because her husband would have whipped the dog (She said something else but I can't type what she said he would have done to the dog.). :oops: She was VERY nice and apologetic and sympathetic about the entire situation. I explained to her that when I saw the mutilated turkey, I thought it was some kinda of hawk attack or something else but little did I know it was a dog. I showed her the dead turkey and she was so upset about it. I told her that if I would have not had cameras, I would have never known.

I didn't even say anything about money. SHE bought it up. She said that whatever they owe, just let her know and they will pay for all of the damage. Because she was so nice and so genuine and honest and forthcoming about everything, I know that it was an unfortunate incident. After talking to her, I told her that I would accept $100.00 for the damage. I told her the cost of me losing them is way more than $100.00 but because it was a one time incident, I wouldn't make them pay any more than that. I told her that I sell my turkey hens for $75.00 and the duck hens for $25.00, so that is all I would ask them to pay. I explained that I hope my Tom Turkey makes it because he is my #1 breeder and without him, I am done for the year. She apologized again and said that when her husband gets home, they will pay me for the damage.

It went better than I thought and that's because she came over as soon as I saw her get the note. Like I said, they are great neighbors and I have NEVER had a problem with them EVER and I do want to continue to have a good relationship with them.

Earlier I had gone outside and did a head count of the number of turkeys that I have. I have 11 turkey hens and 7 toms, which is plenty. Even if this tom doesn't make it and it will be a terrible lost because he is a handsome and healthy boy, it will be great lost but I still have his offspring and they will be great breeders next year and in the future. I still have 2 older male turkeys who can be my breeders for this year and that's enough to go around to breed my girls. And we all know everything hatches over here because of the high fertility. As far as the duck hens, I can't even begin to count how many female ducks I have. It may be close to 80 duck hens, so 1 lost won't be too much of a set back.

So, I looked at it that way and this was my deciding factor on the $100.00 for the turkey and the duck, in addition to the tips and suggestions you all gave me.

So, the conversation ended well. I don't think it will happen again. She said that she won't be letting him about ever again to run around.

So that's about it folks.

Thanks for the thoughts and support everyone. I really appreciate that.

Phew. What a relief. A terrible neighbor would have just made it worse and worse. I just pray for your tom and peace to return to your home and farm. I just don't know how to tell you how sorry I am for this tragedy.

I question anyone that would discipline a dog hours or days after an event. That is just cruel. That dog would learn nothing except that people are suddenly abusive without reason. I hope that doesn't happen. I pray they just devote themselves to being responsible dog owners. Sounds like they will.

I went outside to bring the Tom turkey outside to get some fresh air. After I put him in the pen and got him situated, the other Toms ran to the dog kennel pen and started pacing around it trying to get inside to beat him up. They know that he is injured and they want to finish him off so that they can take his rank. After I closed the dog kennel door, I saw the lady drive up and check her mail. So, I knew that she would get t the letter . So, I came back in and started watching TV and waited to see how long it would take for her to come over.

Well, 10 minutes later, someone knocked on the door. I looked at the security cameras and I saw that it was my neighbor. I went outside and she said that she had got the note. She went on to explain that she had let the dog out to run around and he saw all of the animals and ran across the street. She said that a friend of hers called her to tell her that he almost hit her dog. She said that she knew he had come over here. She said that she wasn't sure exactly what he did but she was waiting to talk to me to let me know.

I explained to her what happened as I saw it on the camera recording and offered her to take a look at it. She said no that she didn't need to look at the camera because she believed every word I said and she knew that her dog had come over here. She was so upset about what happened and was even more upset and angry at the dog. She said that she will only let him out when she is outside and he never runs off but this time he got in his mind to run behind the animals and he came over to my house. She said that her husband was not home when the incident happened and she was glad that he wasn't because her husband would have whipped the dog (She said something else but I can't type what she said he would have done to the dog.). :oops: She was VERY nice and apologetic and sympathetic about the entire situation. I explained to her that when I saw the mutilated turkey, I thought it was some kinda of hawk attack or something else but little did I know it was a dog. I showed her the dead turkey and she was so upset about it. I told her that if I would have not had cameras, I would have never known.

I didn't even say anything about money. SHE bought it up. She said that whatever they owe, just let her know and they will pay for all of the damage. Because she was so nice and so genuine and honest and forthcoming about everything, I know that it was an unfortunate incident. After talking to her, I told her that I would accept $100.00 for the damage. I told her the cost of me losing them is way more than $100.00 but because it was a one time incident, I wouldn't make them pay any more than that. I told her that I sell my turkey hens for $75.00 and the duck hens for $25.00, so that is all I would ask them to pay. I explained that I hope my Tom Turkey makes it because he is my #1 breeder and without him, I am done for the year. She apologized again and said that when her husband gets home, they will pay me for the damage.

It went better than I thought and that's because she came over as soon as I saw her get the note. Like I said, they are great neighbors and I have NEVER had a problem with them EVER and I do want to continue to have a good relationship with them.

Earlier I had gone outside and did a head count of the number of turkeys that I have. I have 11 turkey hens and 7 toms, which is plenty. Even if this tom doesn't make it and it will be a terrible lost because he is a handsome and healthy boy, it will be great lost but I still have his offspring and they will be great breeders next year and in the future. I still have 2 older male turkeys who can be my breeders for this year and that's enough to go around to breed my girls. And we all know everything hatches over here because of the high fertility. As far as the duck hens, I can't even begin to count how many female ducks I have. It may be close to 80 duck hens, so 1 lost won't be too much of a set back.

So, I looked at it that way and this was my deciding factor on the $100.00 for the turkey and the duck, in addition to the tips and suggestions you all gave me.

So, the conversation ended well. I don't think it will happen again. She said that she won't be letting him about ever again to run around.

At least you have understanding neighbors willing to own up to their pets damage. It is very unfortunate it happened and your birds had to loose their lives so horrifically, but at least they aren't the kind of people that don't give a fart. Hopefully her actions will be as sound as her words and she will keep the dog reigned in now that she knows what he is capable of. That's the worst part about keeping livestock is someday something is going to get something you have even if you try to be very careful. You never want it to and you hope it won't but there's only so much you can control. At least you had the cameras and were able to know exactly what happened. If you hadn't found out it was a dog attack so quickly then the neighbors wouldn't know they have a bird killer and it would have been much more likely to happen again, maybe worse the next time. You handled the situation with a calm head and maturity I don't know if I would have been able to reach with grief and fire in my belly with the situation. :hugs

Thanks

Yes you are right. I think with her coming over immediately and being honest and owning up to what happened made it easier for me to deal with it, so I made it less harsh on them. I hope that this has been a learning lesson for her and she won't ever let the dog out to run around. Besides, their dogs have a LARGE area to run around in their back yard. It's not as if they are contained to a small run.

I know how hot headed I can get and I know what level I CAN go to, so I knew that it wasn't in my best interest to allow myself to get upset. And besides, I have a clear criminal record and I didn't want to get a simple battery or assault charge. :oops:

I'm glad that it had as positive a result as possible. I'm glad she "stepped up". I know that doesn't "fix" things, but it's good that she took responsibility. Just remember, you ARE fertile acres. Your Tom will get better and go on to "fertile the acres".

Thanks. I hope that he gets better.

Back
Top Bottom