"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hey everyone, I just bought two male pygmy goats a couple weeks ago. Anyone have any tips, they have a 20x20 pen fenced in with shelter, water, and hay that I lock them up in at night, also covered with poultry netting, pen I robbbed from my chickens, plus an addition bout 20x30 pen with longer vegetation to eat throughout the day. Does anyone feed grains?

Congrats. on the goats. I've never had any, but they sure are cute. Good to see you back on line. Pam

Last edited:
Pam - those doors are gorgeous!

As for the goats, my side kick and sis-in-law has raised goats for years and her goat that has to be close to 100 in goat years..has a pen probaby 10x10...but he chooses to stand on his house that is in the pen 90% of the time. I, myself, have no goat experience. Now I can help with pig info...haha

I have a question - i have the 2 week old chicks in a box approximately 4 foot long by 2-3 foot wide..and the gang violence has only seemed to escalate! I have done the following-
Added 'toys' for entertainment
Temp is good and is regulated
Always fresh food and water

There are 4 buff orpington bantams, 5 barred cochin bantams and 4 partridge cochin bantams. They seem to have always hung out segragated by 'color'..hence my daughter's term of 'gang wars'.
Is this normal? Is there something I am doing wrong? Or there any suggestions or ideas to alleviate this? My smaller chicks are the ones I feel bad for. They get caught in the crossfire. Are they already trying to establish a pecking order?
HELP!

Ever heard birds of a feather flock together? Now you know where that came from. They will work it out. Better now then when grown. You could take a few at a time of different breeds out for a short time. They get stimulated and tired might calm things down. Pam

Doyline is near bossier city. I have 10 Rhode Island reds and have no idea what I'm doing. I inherited them from my neighbor who just moved to Mo. I told her I would take care of them.
Hey! Im just down the road from you in Minden. Need anything, just ask. Your best bet on prices is gonna be at CONES... Ive priced all kinds in the Minden area. BUT, CONES only has non-medicated chick feed. I prefer the medicated kind, course that just my opinion.
Just make sure you have absolutely completely protected area for them. All kinds of predators will try for them in this area.
Hawks, vultures, opossums, coons, hogs, dogs, cats, bobcats, snakes and foxes. Chicken wire is useless except to keep chickens IN. It rips apart like paper for a predator.
Hardware cloth is at a good price at Tractor Supply is ya need it. I also had good usage of the green gardening wire from there. Sturdy, just chicks could escape.? Maybe.
Something covering above them as well is needed. BUT, all can be averted with a sturdy building to house them at night. Completely closed up type arrangement.
THEN, if you have a dog or dont mind getting one, guardian of the yard only, herding/farm type breed, predators will generally stay GONE! At least for me, tho not all the gals here have had the same luck.
Show pics of your set-up if ya can, and maybe we can help with some ideas if you ever need them. RIR's are great! Good mothers and more friendly breed. Lays pretty steady too!
Best of luck!!!

Now to catch up:
ANGELICISI: love your BRAT! So pretty, I always feed those hidden clutches back to mine as well, but ya can put whole eggs in blender, then bake, shells will be evenly distributed since ground so small. I actually had a hen get choked on a piece once. Why I started using me blender.... did I mention I LOVE my blender?! LOL

PAM: love the new house! Still think your man can come build me one anytime! Excuse me while I go BALM myself........ LOL

CADJIEN: love the new goats! Missed ya around!

Welcome newbie!

Even as grown-ups, my hens still flock by colors. Even my different breeds dont care, as long as their colors are similar, they stay side by side. And I have all mixed breeds... they still do it. Sometimes, I have noticed the ones that end being roos start trouble between themselves as chicks. May be what your having? I had to separate them.

Im sure there are things to comment on I missed! Ya'll know how I love to comment, so yall forgive...

Hey everyone, I just bought two male pygmy goats a couple weeks ago. Anyone have any tips, they have a 20x20 pen fenced in with shelter, water, and hay that I lock them up in at night, also covered with poultry netting, pen I robbbed from my chickens, plus an addition bout 20x30 pen with longer vegetation to eat throughout the day. Does anyone feed grains?

I have 6 now they or so funny I sit & watch them play. They or just like human kids playing. I do feed goat feed to mine twice a day. And I just reada book called Goat raising for Dummies lol yes I went there. If you have a billy & don't want to breed, you might want to band him from what I hear & read they make a stink.

Now to catch up:
ANGELICISI:  love your BRAT!  So pretty, I always feed those hidden clutches back to mine as well, but ya can put whole eggs in blender, then bake, shells will be evenly distributed since ground so small. I actually had a hen get choked on a piece once. Why I started using me blender.... did I mention I LOVE my blender?!  LOL

PAM: love the new house!  Still think your man can come build me one anytime!  Excuse me while I go BALM myself........    LOL  

CADJIEN:  love the new goats! Missed ya around!

Welcome newbie!

Even as grown-ups, my hens still flock by colors.  Even my different breeds dont care, as long as their colors are similar, they stay side by side.  And I have all mixed breeds... they still do it.  Sometimes, I have noticed the ones that end being roos start trouble between themselves as chicks.  May be what your having?  I had to separate them.    

Im sure there are things to comment on I missed!  Ya'll know how I love to comment, so yall forgive... 

He says he's not a carpenter, in the past its never been something he's been good at. Well times have changed. I think he's getting good at it now.I can't believe he made the door. And he made it from our milled trees we cut and left over cypress bead board we had left over from another project. To bad we don't live closer. I'm happy you like the Blam. Pam

Now I remember,
LINDA: do you have heat on your chicks? I hate that about the Delawares, msince i was gonna barter/buy one off ya next year or so.... HOPE so badly all left survive. We should definitely go shopping! I havent gotten new clothes in forever myself!, dont think the freebie t-shirt from donating blood counts! LOL

ANGEL: love that you made him carrot cake tower! Haven't had some in a while... now im craving!!!!

KUNTRY: (dont spank me) but I have $5.00..... whatcha got now???? LOL

CRACKED: Lacrosse... mine had to learn to play dirty. Not sure I am happy about that, there was a lot of hitting, running over etc. BUT, if yours DO play... no mouthguard, no playing! But my son was too old by the time he started, wasn't very good. that made him quit after I paid SO much for equipment. Others were brutal as heck... think he was 13.

PATNBRANDI: your daughter sounds adorable!!!! I love when the kids get involved! And your new coop looks just awesome! Love the colors and windows!

HELLO IWHITE and TBEAU!!! Welcome! Glad to have another 'neighbor' close by IWHITE! Your only about 15 minutes from me! YEA!

MAMAKITTY: best of luck on the plucking!!

I have 6 now they or so funny I sit & watch them play. They or just like human kids playing. I do feed goat feed to mine twice a day. And I just reada book called Goat raising for Dummies lol yes I went there. If you have a billy & don't want to breed, you might want to band him from what I hear & read they make a stink.

Yea they are band, or was banned when I got them, idk how long before they fall off, I guess I should check lol. They are friendly like dogs.

Back
Top Bottom