"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hey all, new chicken mom here...I bought a flock of young hens and one ended up being a rooster...I already have one so looking to give it to a good home.

Attachments

• FC7625C2-5FFD-4E84-B469-7395B1822CBE.jpeg
    FC7625C2-5FFD-4E84-B469-7395B1822CBE.jpeg
    659 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to Louisiana and all its heat and humidity. All's I can advise is to not have the opening of your coop or whatever facing west. In the afternoon to evening the sun will bake them if it's open. Try to have it face north that will also help in the event of a hurricane coming from the s.e as to not let wind blow into it. No real worries from a north wind in the winter lol we really don't have much of that. Summers alot harder on mine than winter

Hey All -
i moved a year ago to SW Louisiana (Lafayette area) from the Midwest. Living 'in town' now but missing having chickens. So, considering chicks....what are the best heat hardy breeds here? All advice welcome.

Cat

Small-bodied layers do well: leghorns, EEs, etc. Australorps are also good. Cochins hate it, but I have a few. If you just want eggs, any barnyard mix in your area will have likely acclimated, as the strongest survive and pass on their genes.

Thanks....wanted EEs...I've always enjoyed a pretty carton. I found one local source for pullets (Atlas in BB)....are there other local places to check out?

I’m not in your part of the state, so it’s hard to say. If you have Facebook then your local poultry groups are the best source. I have gotten nice eggs from individuals over your way. They hatch next week. :highfive:

Thanks....wanted EEs...I've always enjoyed a pretty carton. I found one local source for pullets (Atlas in BB)....are there other local places to check out?

:frow welcome home! I venture out that way often. Most recently for quail hatching eggs from James Marie Farms. Idk Atlas in breax bridge, and I dont have any EEs just wanted to say hello and welcome

I’m not in your part of the state, so it’s hard to say. If you have Facebook then your local poultry groups are the best source. I have gotten nice eggs from individuals over your way. They hatch next week. :highfive:

:frow been awhile I hope your well!

And I'm with her :highfive:

I just aquired a chicken tractor and six Black Maran hens. This is my first time raising chickens. I live near Lafayette. The coop feels too small for the hens and I'm concerned about heat in the summer. Wife and I talking about building a permanent coop and I have a couple of questions.

Is there a design that works best to keep the chickens cool in our summers?

Is there a local place to talk to people about the challenges of raising chickens in the heat?

Thanks in advance for your help .
1549727302563991528898102597056.jpg

Here is a picture of the tractor.

I just aquired a chicken tractor and six Black Maran hens. This is my first time raising chickens. I live near Lafayette. The coop feels too small for the hens and I'm concerned about heat in the summer. Wife and I talking about building a permanent coop and I have a couple of questions.

Is there a design that works best to keep the chickens cool in our summers?

Is there a local place to talk to people about the challenges of raising chickens in the heat?

Thanks in advance for your help .View attachment 1668175

Here is a picture of the tractor.

You are right, that’s much too small. They need two square feet per bird in the coop, and ten square feet in the run if they are not free ranged.

This is my coop. We used pallets for the boards but used bought lumber for the framing. It was built to house 20 birds per side.

Back
Top Bottom