"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hello all! My husband and I live in Monroe, LA and just started our first flock in April of this year. So far we have 8 hens ranging in age from 6 months to 2 years (all laying now). I'm looking to add to our flock in the next 2 to 3 months and one of my wishlist hens is a blue Andalusian. Would anyone happen to have that breed available?
Hi there :frow... hope you love your gals as much as I love mine! I just started Spring if 2018...
Soooooo, Monroe huh..? Are you close to West Monroe ;)...? As in.. near my most favorite people in the whole wide world :D

Hi, fellow Louisiana peeps! I've been considering switching my small mixed backyard flock to a single breed and was wondering if anyone would care to share which breeds have been your best year round layers that are relatively docile and tolerate confinement well. I keep them in their large coop and run almost all the time these days. Coop and run are large enough for 16 birds but I don't plan to keep but around 4-5 hens and a roo, so while confined they won't be cramped. I've read many breed reviews but would like personal accounts from you all. I've taken a liking to Delawares, so I'm especially interested in those, but am open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance for anything you'd like to share!

Hi, fellow Louisiana peeps! I've been considering switching my small mixed backyard flock to a single breed and was wondering if anyone would care to share which breeds have been your best year round layers that are relatively docile and tolerate confinement well. I keep them in their large coop and run almost all the time these days. Coop and run are large enough for 16 birds but I don't plan to keep but around 4-5 hens and a roo, so while confined they won't be cramped. I've read many breed reviews but would like personal accounts from you all. I've taken a liking to Delawares, so I'm especially interested in those, but am open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance for anything you'd like to share!
Hello der :frow... I think I would say get Easter Eggers.. that way even though all one breed.. everyone looks different.. plus the beautiful colored eggs.. they also lay well and have the funniest and quirky personalities! Someone on here says chickens like their own kind best.. meaning their breed. I may end up heading in that direction as well.. I have a very mixed flock but I may start heading towards all EEs.. I have a 16 chickens and four of them are EEs..

Hello der :frow... I think I would say get Easter Eggers.. that way even though all one breed.. everyone looks different.. plus the beautiful colored eggs.. they also lay well and have the funniest and quirky personalities! Someone on here says chickens like their own kind best.. meaning their breed. I may end up heading in that direction as well.. I have a very mixed flock but I may start heading towards all EEs.. I have a 16 chickens and four of them are EEs..

Hello der, whodat (not from that far south but I know enough southerners to speak da language!). I actually have EE now. And I love them! Have considered doing exactly what you mentioned and if I can speak frankly, I would advise you to get them from cackle if you can. My cackle EE have been the hardiest birds and best layers I've got! 100%. My almost 3 year old cackle EE still outlay my first year barred rock! I actually wanted to switch though bc I have been leaning toward one consistent look and I love white chickens. Again, my EE are definitely a top contender for my redo, but I wanted to see what else was working for everyone else. I appreciate this input though bc I am keeping score. So score 1 for da EE! :woot

I also love EEs. I went a few years without any and got to missing them. TSC the other day had amerecauna pullets, so of course u had to get a few.

I also love banty cochins. They’re just fun and funny. I had one last year who basically lived in the brooder. She raised three clutches of babies for me, including 15 guinea keets, even though she was only a few months old.

Hello der, whodat (not from that far south but I know enough southerners to speak da language!). I actually have EE now. And I love them! Have considered doing exactly what you mentioned and if I can speak frankly, I would advise you to get them from cackle if you can. My cackle EE have been the hardiest birds and best layers I've got! 100%. My almost 3 year old cackle EE still outlay my first year barred rock! I actually wanted to switch though bc I have been leaning toward one consistent look and I love white chickens. Again, my EE are definitely a top contender for my redo, but I wanted to see what else was working for everyone else. I appreciate this input though bc I am keeping score. So score 1 for da EE! :woot
Der ya go :clap....
Okay, well that’s great to know.. thanks! I’ve gotten all my chicks from feed stores and TSC so far.. and they are all doing great! Mine are still young.. I have 7 that are about a year and a half.. and the other nine are from this year but various ages.. so I’ll have a ways to go before I’m down to one breed.. and I do agree about the white though... I have a Light Brahma who is my prettiest bird and my white Cochin bantam is the stinkin cutest thing ever!
58E1162E-F91D-40DF-B965-7E4CAD130B1C.jpeg
0773F4CB-0444-4EA3-93E1-0CDD3B535C2B.jpeg

I also love EEs. I went a few years without any and got to missing them. TSC the other day had amerecauna pullets, so of course u had to get a few.

I also love banty cochins. They’re just fun and funny. I had one last year who basically lived in the brooder. She raised three clutches of babies for me, including 15 guinea keets, even though she was only a few months old.
I LOVE my Cochins! Soooo sweet and cute! :love

Der ya go :clap....
Okay, well that’s great to know.. thanks! I’ve gotten all my chicks from feed stores and TSC so far.. and they are all doing great! Mine are still young.. I have 7 that are about a year and a half.. and the other nine are from this year but various ages.. so I’ll have a ways to go before I’m down to one breed.. and I do agree about the white though... I have a Light Brahma who is my prettiest bird and my white Cochin bantam is the stinkin cutest thing ever! View attachment 1882362 View attachment 1882366

I do plan to keep a little Cochin bantam within my new flock jic I decide to hatch my own chicks. And TSC has to get them from somewhere. I believe mine here uses privett bc they told me the chicks came from a hatchery from New Mexico so yours may do the same.

Back
Top Bottom