Love Me, Love My Garlic

Scape.....What IS a garlic scape?
hu.gif

Quote:
The scape is the garlic flower that should be cut as it begins to curl so the garlic puts it's energy into the bulb. Also, I buy seed garlic every year, but this year I'm going to use some of my garlic crop for next year.

I've read that if you want to grow garlic for planting. choose some big healthy plants, and leave in the ground a bit longer than the garlic you harvest, maybe a week or so, but not so long that the bulb splits.

menageriemama, pretty little guinea baby in your pic
smile.png

You plant garlic in the fall and dig it up in late summer. My shipment comes the second week of September, so I will probably be planting right after it arrives.

Scapes only grow on hard neck garlic! We plant in oct. I live in zone 5. We plant after the full moon! Some old timer told us that and we have done it since, and have had good luck with it so why not! Scapes are good in an omelet too. I have enough to make the pesto, so I'll be trying it soon.
They keep a good while in the fridge. in a zip lock, I've had them as long as a month in there!
Brenda

Quote:
Hi--in zone 4 here, we plant in sept/oct. Just stick the cloves in about 1" below the surface of the soil about 8" apart, rows about 1' apart. Mulch well! The greens will make it through the thick mulch come spring. Stop watering about 1 month before harvesting, when about 1/2 of the leaves are dead. Good luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom