Low pecking order bully

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
We just integrated our 2 new pullets to the flock of 5. They’d been interacting for weeks prior and we did a slow integration. The lowest on the existing pecking order, Edie, kept going at them, but thought she might let up. It’s been a week and she’s pretty relentless. No blood drawn but just constantly seeking them out. I heard removing some of the higher girls temporarily could help, but they all get onto Edie and she’s pecked often herself. Not sure which I would remove. I ended up removing her from the coop tonight because she kept jumping down from the roost to peck the new girls. I don’t want to meddle too much but is it right to remove her for a little while?

sometimes, like this, it's tricky. See how the rest get on with Edie out of the picture for a few days. It may be a revelation. If they get along, then she's the problem, and you might want to think about removing her permanently in the interest of the rest of the flock. Some birds are just nasty and as a result are unpopular with everyone in the flock. I have one like that, who I have to monitor and isolate periodically, but I have the time to do it, and my flock free range so can run away from her; not everybody can or wants to do this.

The lowest existing bird is always the most aggressive to newbies.
Either they are protecting their place in the order,
or are just glad to have a minion to pick on.

I just let them work it out....
...but I have lots of space, 'hiding' places, multiple feed/water stations, and a couple lower roosts for the newbs.

I am going to be dealing with this myself in a few days. My bottom hen pecks the littles (almost 12 weeks old now, not so little) through the "look, don't touch" fence. It's less now -- they've had about 5 weeks to get acclimated -- but yesterday she got one of them good twice. I've been putting their "snack" (wetted food as a mash) on the ground on both sides of the fence, and one of the littles reached through to the adult side and got pecked hard.

I plan to take down the fence in two days. When they go outside on Thursday, I will have completely rearranged the run and added at least 5 new things, so everybody will have to deal with unfamiliar surroundings. I'm also going to add new feeders and waterers, and I've built a "food shelter*" and will position it so that whoever is eating there can be out of sight from 3 directions.

*Thanks for the idea, @3KillerBs!

I have a dog crate I can use to separate the bottom hen if I need to.

Mine do this when they have been raised since chicks. I have tried alot to make it stop but it doesn't. None of them have got injured though.

The lowest existing bird is always the most aggressive to newbies.
Either they are protecting their place in the order,
or are just glad to have a minion to pick on.

I just let them work it out....
...but I have lots of space, 'hiding' places, multiple feed/water stations, and a couple lower roosts for the newbs.
I put in all of that - hiding, feeders, waterers, lower roosts, and the little ones still find the few corners to back themselves into. :( How long does it usually take for them to work it out?

I How long does it usually take for them to work it out?
With mine it's normally not that bad but it usually ends about the time the pullets start laying. Within a couple of weeks if not less. The worst time for mine is usually when they are going to bed.

How old are your pullets?

With mine it's normally not that bad but it usually ends about the time the pullets start laying. Within a couple of weeks if not less. The worst time for mine is usually when they are going to bed.

How old are your pullets?
Ah good, that's helpful to hear! The new girls are around 20 weeks now. They stayed inside for so long because they're silkies but we also had some brutal heat waves. The other girls are all bantams too besides one. The bully is a cochin.

That's what I've noticed as well - bedtime is the worst. I took her in last night because she kept cornering them in the coop. She pecks them at night/in the morning and then mildly harasses through the day, but they can get away easier out of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom