Low Temperature and very active

SoFluffy

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Last night, at 2 o clock, my dad realised the light bulb for the brooder was broken so he changed it but this bulb produced a blue-ish colour and not much heat as the thermometer was only at 28 degrees celcius for six whole hours and the lonely chick in the brooder is still alive. So my brother is changing the light bulb as I'm typing this to about a temperature of 32 degrees. Is the chick going to have any problems because 32 sounds kinda low (yet the chick made it through its first day exploring freely) and it has been chirping all of yesterday (probably cos its lonely as none of the other eggs would hatch in the bator
sad.png
)

EDIT: Also refer to comment #4

Last edited:
How old is your chick? Unless its fully feathered, 32° is WAY too low. You can see a few problems with a cold chick. They'll chirp loudly, stop eating and drinking, become listless, developed pastey butt, and of course they can die. In a pinch, I've filled water bottles with boiling water. Even better are rice filled socks. Pop them in the microwave to get them nice and toasty, they stay warm for a while. Which should give you time to get the brooder temp back up to where its supposed to be. I've even used a hairdryer to warm a chilled chick. Good luck!

I think the OP is not in the US. 32*C is nearly 90*F. If I am correct, the chick will be just fine. Might even be a little too warm.

That's great info how funky...

Imp

Last edited:
The baby chick is just 2 days old (at the time I posted this comment).
But the weird thing is that this lone chick is soooooooooo active and slept last night at like 10 pm, it continuously chirps loudly (probably cos it's alone) but in terms of eating and drinking, it's normal. And for some reason, it's 30 degrees Celcius yet it's still exploring happily! The chick's father, Fluffy is a cold-hardy breed but still, it's 10:23PM and it's STILL playing...

I have found in the past chicks like it better if you have a light or atleast a light on in the room outside of the heatlamp. None that i have ever hatched took well to the red and blue heatlamps the heat would be fine but whenever the light in the room was off they would chirp loudly.

32 is a little high but the chick would be panting etc. Im assuming the 32 is directly under the heatlamp and the lone chick isnt going around it. But still a little high you can lower it a couple degrees forsure.

If possible make a cool space and a warm space(30C). That way the chick can find its comfort zone.
They sleep at odd hours. I keep light on them 24 hours a day the first week.

Back
Top Bottom