Lowest temp for a solitary chicken?

Kaye Pek

Chirping
May 2, 2021
Vancouver, BC, Canada
We have a backyard flock of four hens, and my CCLB has been getting bullied. For the last week and a bit, we've been taking her out of the run at bedtime (she stands on the ramp and yells until we go pick her up, just in case we've forgotten her FOREVER) to sleep in a hay-filled dog crate overnight. With our unseasonably warm weather that's been fine; however, it's finally starting raining (yay!) and tonight is supposed to dip to 4C (39F).

This brings me to my question: how much cold can a solitary chicken tolerate, roughly? I'm hesitant to leave her outside, so she's currently asleep in a hay-filled rubbermaid tote in my kitchen, but it's not a particularly great long-term solution.

I'm hesitant to leave her outside, so she's currently asleep in a hay-filled rubbermaid tote in my kitchen, but it's not a particularly great long-term solution.
I agree with that not being a good long term solution. The problems that can potentially arise from that are:
Hen get used to warm, and does not develop proper down for insulation.
I would place her, tote, and all inside coop. This way, I doubt the other chickens would be entering tote to bother her. She get acclimated to the on setting lower temperatures, and all should be as well as with your other chickens.

WISHING YOU BEST..................................and :welcome

I am going to suggest that too. But I am wondering it is rather a small coop?

Post some pictures of the inside of your coop for us to help with. I take it that she is handling the daytime interactions ok, it is just the night.

You might try this: take a bigger piece of cardboard and use it to split the roost into two parts. Leaving enough space for the victim on one side, or space for her and a friend on the other side. Often times, in these cases, there is one or two 'wicked' birds that peck at night. With chickens out of sight, is out of mind.

You may have to put her there, but she would be out of your house.

Mrs K

I'm curious how this goes, if you try it. I have one getting bullied as well and trying to figure out a solution as it's getting colder out. I'm considering a new, small coop for her and adding a friend who doesn't bully her

Back
Top Bottom