Lucked into rare breeds

Lilleeslayers660

Hatching
Apr 24, 2018
Hi I'm a new member but have read 1000s of posts from byc in the past several years just took awhile to join lol. So a neighbor moved recently and our flock got padded significantly with most of theres, as they couldn't take there birds with them on the move. I knew there were some names Id heard but I'd never seen several of the breeds, several champion show birds, that I inherited. They were chicken finatics and claim these were all imported hatch eggs except the rhodebars that were bought for about a weeks wages:/. I'm mainly wondering my new 6 coronation Sussex, 2 rhodebars, 3 cream legbars, and 2 blue langshans and sweety my single swedish flower hen. Besides them being a gorgeous addition to the flock and egg basket are these things really like gold in value as I see online?

Attachments

• 1524575704255383572799.jpg
    1524575704255383572799.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 15245757419091186315411.jpg
    15245757419091186315411.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 15245757962991552104082.jpg
    15245757962991552104082.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 15245758600941428089380.jpg
    15245758600941428089380.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 25
Value is based on what someone is willing to pay. Sometimes finding that special someone incurs cost of it's own. If you want to turn a dime on short notice on your local craigslist, be prepared to sell them for whatever laying hens are going for locally. It is fairly easy to spend a lot of money while figuring out marketing strategies and working out transport logistics when dealing with merchandise that eats. People willing to spend the bucks for breeder quality fowl will be looking to buy from someone that can talk the talk, your neighbors sound like they could have, but it might be hard for you remembering what lines were which, (not just breeds). Imported could mean smuggled in illegally in some cases, as well, with some of the rarer birds, but sounds like the ones you have are pretty common, just greenfire stuff.

I'm just a poor hillbilly in the middle of no where where rare breeds aren't popular and I have coronation sussex and Rhodebars. Had crested cream legbars for years so can't say any of those three are extremely rare or of any great value $$$ wise.
Also all three aren't showable. Rhodebars and legbars aren't a show able breed and coronation isn't a showable variety so no champion show stock there.
Checking value by what you find on the internet usually shows high end. For every high dollar breed you find I'd bet there are dozens of others selling the same breed for a significantly lower price.
Rare doesn't equal high value either. I have some rare birds. Not because they're worth a lot or impossible to find but rare because no one else wants them.
You have some cool breeds so enjoy them and figure their value is what they're worth to you to keep and admire.

Last edited:
Was reading this for the interest, but something I wanted to point out to you regarding the pics of your new birds. They appear to have leg mites. I'd get that treated fairly quickly before they give it to your existing flock.

I'm just a poor hillbilly in the middle of no where where rare breeds aren't popular and I have coronation sussex and Rhodebars. Had crested cream legbars for years so can't say any of those three are extremely rare or of any great value $$$ wise.
Also all three aren't showable. Rhodebars and legbars aren't a show able breed and coronation isn't a showable variety so no champion show stock there.
Checking value by what you find on the internet usually shows high end. For every high dollar breed you find I'd bet there are dozens of others selling the same breed for a significantly lower price.
Rare doesn't equal high value either. I have some rare birds. Not because they're worth a lot or impossible to find but rare because no one else wants them.
You have some cool breeds so enjoy them and figure their value is what they're worth to you to keep and admire.
I'm not planning to sell them I was only asking prices to decide whether or not I would like to take the time and effort to separate each subspecies of them to get some pure bred hatch egg's. I've never hatched any before but in our area( bf north mo) you don't see many of these mainly productions bought second hand from Amish egg ops, which for 50¢ there adequate for most. But given their scarcity locally they might be popular, just mulling over the idea. And the shows I'm referring to are our local county/regional fairs, no national exhibition shows or anything, but I'm sure the rhodebar and cream legbar roosters have taken home blue ribbons two years in a row at our sizable fair, I got to see the pictures and ribbons. And if her dollar amounts of winnings or anything close to correct I believe I need to get my daughter pumped up to take some chickens to the fair LOL.

I'd
Was reading this for the interest, but something I wanted to point out to you regarding the pics of your new birds. They appear to have leg mites. I'd get that treated fairly quickly before they give it to your existing flock.
Thank you, I had wondered what was up with their legs and feet I thought at first Maybe 'wire feet' from being raised in cages but these birds have been free range since they left their grow out pen at the former owners. What is a good treatment for leg mites? I've never had any issues with them before

I'm not planning to sell them I was only asking prices to decide whether or not I would like to take the time and effort to separate each subspecies of them to get some pure bred hatch egg's. I've never hatched any before but in our area( bf north mo) you don't see many of these mainly productions bought second hand from Amish egg ops, which for 50¢ there adequate for most. But given their scarcity locally they might be popular, just mulling over the idea. And the shows I'm referring to are our local county/regional fairs, no national exhibition shows or anything, but I'm sure the rhodebar and cream legbar roosters have taken home blue ribbons two years in a row at our sizable fair, I got to see the pictures and ribbons. And if her dollar amounts of winnings or anything close to correct I believe I need to get my daughter pumped up to take some chickens to the fair LOL.
I didn't see any Rhodebars in the pics. Are they in there somewhere?
I like Rhodebars and not sure why more people don't.
Legbars have been pretty popular for a while now. People like the auto sexing and blue eggs.
Suprising Rhodebars haven't done as well since they're auto sexing and lay big brown eggs. (Brown eggs are really popular here). They could be raised as dual purpose and be good for eggs and meat. IDK
I like the coronation sussex too. Think they're just sold mostly for eye candy.
Light and speckled sussex dominate here for the Sussex.

Back
Top Bottom