Lucky red isn't recovering

Varx

Chirping
Apr 10, 2019
So my Rhode island red "lucky red" has been limping for weeks. She's laying but hasn't left the coop and isn't "broody" when she leaves the coop she has to hop on one foot. I've tried setting her in warm water checked her foot visually but she won't let me touch it.
How long should it take for a sprain to heal? She's eating and drinking and laying normally but I hate seeing her lame and unable to roost with the other ladies. Any ideas?

If it turns out to be bumble foot but isn't very far along it's possible to treat it non-invasively. This usually only works if the bumble hasn't fully formed and there hasn't been tons of swelling but could be tried if it wasn't severe.
There is a homeopathic drawing salve available at Walmart called Prid that can be applied after a very warm Epsom salt soak and thorough cleaning of her feet. We also use gentle iodine available at feed/farm stores to clean the feet before adding Prid and antibiotic ointment(no anasthetic) and then bandaging the foot with gauze and vet wrap. Change daily and then every other day keeping the bandage clean and dry between changes.

Hope this helps.

Check to see if the problem may be Bumblefoot.
That can be resolved a few ways. Surgery that you can do yourself is usually the most direct route.
WISHING YOU BEST............................. and :welcome
After looking into it I think she may have this, but though I'm going to double check her tomorrow I know that one of my other ladies has it.
I call her Hazel because I thought it was a weird mole or wart. Hazel doesn't limp or seem bothered by it at all but though just to be safe cause I'm not really sure I'll post some pictures of Hazel's foot and Lucky's tomorrow.

If it turns out to be bumble foot but isn't very far along it's possible to treat it non-invasively. This usually only works if the bumble hasn't fully formed and there hasn't been tons of swelling but could be tried if it wasn't severe.
There is a homeopathic drawing salve available at Walmart called Prid that can be applied after a very warm Epsom salt soak and thorough cleaning of her feet. We also use gentle iodine available at feed/farm stores to clean the feet before adding Prid and antibiotic ointment(no anasthetic) and then bandaging the foot with gauze and vet wrap. Change daily and then every other day keeping the bandage clean and dry between changes.

Hope this helps.

I think this may be my best bet for Lucky if she has it, she doesn't really have any sign that I could see other then tiny black dot on the bottom of her foot. No swelling anyway, but after seeing this I know Hazel has a huge bubble looking thing on her leg and had since we got her.

Sounds good. Also consider the less invasive treatment suggested by Chickendreams above. I have read threads of peeps using that method with success.
Maybe tomorrow, when you do post some pix, I will seek out a link to post so you can read about the surgical method as well. :)

Sounds good. Also consider the less invasive treatment suggested by Chickendreams above. I have read threads of peeps using that method with success.
Maybe tomorrow, when you do post some pix, I will seek out a link to post so you can read about the surgical method as well. :)

Any help would be amazing. I really hope it doesn't come down to the surgery. Thank you!

Just curious,,, Is your chicken improving any:idunno
Sorry I've been out of data for a while, Lucky actually has been much better she stopped limping and is out and about with the other ladies. I didn't do anything but I did check out her foot and she still has a little black dot but it's not hard. After talking to the old owner about it he said he's never heard of it but Hazel who has a big wart thing on her foot has always had it. Im taking them to a vet in a week to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom