Lucy & Ethel

Lucy&Ethel

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
My bantam hens both stopped laying eggs. Lucy stopped laying 3 months ago and Ethel 2 months ago--They are only 2 1/2 years old--but there has been no unusual changes in environment or diet. Can this just be the age they stop laying completely? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

I have a Lucy and Ethel!
big_smile.png
how long have they not been laying? Are they molting?

Brooster

My hens are not molting.
Back in October, when Lucy stopped laying she mollted feathers.

I just watched a rerun with Lucy and Ethel, the one where they ordered 500 baby chicks , Made me laugh!
Back to your problem, I think it has a lot to do with shorter days, they need more sunlight?

They will start back laying in late Feb. most likely . a lot of bantams are like game hens ,they quit laying in late fall and start back late winter to early spring

My dog and cat are Lucy and Ethel.
smile.png

I have some bantams that are getting up there in age and only lay an egg every once in a blue moon. One or two have stopped all together so far this winter. I'm not sure if they'll start back up in the spring or not. Their daughters though are laying eggs like crazy.

I have a Lucy and Ethel, too.

They are bantam RIR hens. Mine are younger than yours, though.
And because we live in Arizona, the days are shorter, but it is not very cold, so they are still laying daily.

Not sure where you are at, but the shorter days and colder temperatures are probably affecting their laying.

Good luck!!

Ms. Lewis Rich :

I just watched a rerun with Lucy and Ethel, the one where they ordered 500 baby chicks , Made me laugh!
Back to your problem, I think it has a lot to do with shorter days, they need more sunlight?

I remember that episode - it is hilarious.​

Back
Top Bottom