Lump Near Eye - Advice Needed

So, I just found out that while at the vet, they weighed in her at 1lb. 1lb! That would be a severely underweight hen and I'm shocked that no one questioned this. I weighed her several times last night and this morning and she's averaging about 4.4-4.5 lbs. That means for five days now, she's been way under-dosed on her antibiotics. I'm pissed! I'm waiting for the vet to call me back with the correct dosage and I'm really hoping that she'll start to improve once she's on the proper dose.

Update on my hen-
We finished up her antibiotic once she received the correct dosage, however I didn't really notice any significant improvement until about a week after being done with the meds. It definitely improved and whether that had to do with the meds, or just time, I don't know.

As of today, that swelling/lump is definitely better than what it was at its worst, but it has never fully gone away. It is soft to the touch and not hard. When I told the vet that it didn't fully go away and asked about possibly trying another antibiotic, she kind of implied that we didn't have many more options of antibiotics that have been approved for use in hens. So, my question is...do you think it might be worth just trying another antibiotic on my own? I know @Wyorp Rock mentioned Tylosin. If she were your hen, what would you do?

I've attached two photos...the first one was about a week after finishing her meds and the other is from today. She's been eating and drinking normally, no sneezing, or breathing issues. Also to note, the lumps in her wattles did shrink to almost nothing. I can still feel a tiny cyst like bump, but they are so much better than what they were.
Nana Dec.7.jpg

Nana Dec29.jpg

Hi guys-
I need some advice/insight on this one again. Her swelling is getting worse again and I’m at a loss as to what to do. I did end up getting the Tylosin and treated her for 5 days, 1 tsp per gallon of water. It’s been a little over a week since her last dose and I never saw any change and it’s gotten worse.

Am I right to assume that if it were sinus related the antibiotics would’ve helped? If it were a tumor, I don’t think it would’ve ever gone down in the first place, which leaves me wondering is there something in there and if it needs to be lanced? Are there any other possibilities besides these? Her eyes are clear and there’s no signs of any gunk and that swelling is so localized right behind her eye. I see so many swollen eye pics on here and I feel like they all look so different than hers. She’s still eating as normal and acting okay...still tossing occasional pecks at her younger sisters! I’m worried for her though and feel so frustrated and helpless over this whole thing. Would I be able to tell if it’s causing her pain?

This photo is from Sunday. I will try and get another today when it gets light out.
86843258-6191-4FEB-9136-288FB25F81C1.jpeg

Her pupil looks irregular in the latest pic. And it looks like something is pushing her eye downward. I would wonder about a tumor and possible Mareks, but I am not a vet. How is she walking and getting around? Is she eating and drinking?

Her pupil looks irregular in the latest pic. And it looks like something is pushing her eye downward. I would wonder about a tumor and possible Mareks, but I am not a vet. How is she walking and getting around? Is she eating and drinking?
It does look a little irregular in this pic. I tried getting another this morning before work, but it was still a little dark. I did check her pupils though a few days ago and they looked okay, so it could be a weird reflection, or maybe not. All our girls were vaccinated for Mareks, but I know that doesn’t mean everything either. She did have that weird eye issue last year where this same eye looked like something was pushing down on it, however she never had any swelling. Then it went away until just this last time. She’s eating and drinking just fine and seems okay overall. She gets so-so. Last year, she hurt her leg and had a pretty bad limp for a few weeks, but with some extra care, baby aspirin and rest, she got better though I can tell she walks like she’s stiff in her hips. Poor girl has had a rough year.

If she were yours, would you just let her be and see what happens? I just don’t know if there’s something else I should be doing, or trying for her.

Back
Top Bottom