Lump Near Eye - Advice Needed

Here’s a few photos I got from yesterday evening.
5B386ED5-4571-4DEF-9EDB-8B34FC438150.jpeg
B6AACCCD-4639-45F1-BDB9-157F746FE926.jpeg

Her pupils looks more normal in the latest picture, so that is a relief. So is having the vaccine. I would just let her do what she feels like doing. Just keep an eye on her for any change.
I will definitely keep a close eye on her and hopefully it will just go down on it's own, or at least not get any worse. Thanks for your help!

I apologize for keep coming back to this thread. I had to go out of state for a few days and when I got back (Thursday eve), I noticed her swelling is quite a bit worse. I also noticed a small scab and it looked like there was some slight bruising, so I thought that maybe she was pecked there which aggravated it. This morning when I checked on everyone, I noticed her wattle was swollen again. It's like there are two cyst like bumps in there that are raised. There is also some slight swelling on top of her middle toe by the webbing part, which she also had when this all first started, but it did eventually go away. This is all on the left side of her body.

Any ideas what this could be, or treatment options for her? I did have her on the tylosin for 5 days last month, but it didn't seem to do anything. I'm debating if I should take her back in. I never have a problem doing that, but more often than not, the times I have taken chickens to the vet I tend to feel like I never leave with any answers.

Other than all of this, she seems to be acting okay and is eating, drinking and tossing pecks to her younger sisters, so that is good.

You don’t have to apologize for updating your own thread. Have you ever seen her have any respiratory symptoms since you first posted in November? Have you ever tried to lance and squeeze out any contents of the bump on the eye, to see if there is any yellow solid pus inside? It really just seems like this is probably something that has caused cysts in her face and wattles. The one in her foot could be the same, or the start of a bumblefoot infection. As long as she is behaving normally and eating/drinking well, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Any time chickens have something unusual on their combs or faces, the other chickens may peck at it.

I haven't seen any respiratory symptoms in her. I also haven't tried to lance, or squeeze anything out and I'm so hesitant to do so because of it being right by her eye. I'm so afraid of hurting her, or causing more issues. She doesn't seem to like me touching it either. If it is something like that, can they go away on their own, or will it have to be lanced?

It may or may not go away if it is a small abscess, but if she were mine, I would probably leave it alone, since I am leaning towards it being a cyst. If you reread some of the earlier posts in this thread by @azygous, she described a virus in her flock (lymphoid leukosis) that can cause similar bumps or cysts. Someday hopefully a long time from now, you could get a necropsy on her, just to find out what caused these bumps. Your state poultry vet is the best to contact if you want to do this, and a few other states newby may do them as well. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Are these lumps soft or unyielding and hard?

Being only on one side of the body reminds me of the shingles I endure from time to time. It's caused by the herpes virus and only appears on one side. Herpes viruses can also affect chickens. I'm inclined to think there's a better than even chance that's what this is.

Whether or not it's going to have a detrimental effect on her general health remains to be seen. In any even, there is likely no treatment for it. As long as she's behaving normally, I would try not to worry, but do keep an eye on this for secondary health issues possibly arising from it.

It may or may not go away if it is a small abscess, but if she were mine, I would probably leave it alone, since I am leaning towards it being a cyst. If you reread some of the earlier posts in this thread by @azygous, she described a virus in her flock (lymphoid leukosis) that can cause similar bumps or cysts. Someday hopefully a long time from now, you could get a necropsy on her, just to find out what caused these bumps. Your state poultry vet is the best to contact if you want to do this, and a few other states newby may do them as well. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Okay, that does make me feel a little better because I had found a vet earlier today and thought about taking her in to see if they could lance it, but at the same time it worried me that it might just aggravate things more.

When the time does come, I will definitely get a necropsy done on her. I would love to know what this all is.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom