Lump on Chin

CayugaMama

Songster
May 22, 2020
Austin, TX
Does anyone know what this is??? It is a firm lump under her beak.

0B1D3BF4-0905-40A2-AAC1-025BBA5BEC50.jpeg BBEB6A5D-0EA7-427C-A3EE-049D0B53EEFD.jpeg 5B511E83-C6A8-486C-80FE-6B0E2FC11165.jpeg

It could possibly be a tumor or a cyst. There are a couple of viruses that cause tumors, Mareks and lymphoid leukosis, and there are other types of non-viral tumors. I would watch to see if it grows. Is she having any trouble eating or getting around? Has she been molting recently?

It could possibly be a tumor or a cyst. There are a couple of viruses that cause tumors, Mareks and lymphoid leukosis, and there are other types of non-viral tumors. I would watch to see if it grows. Is she having any trouble eating or getting around? Has she been molting recently?
I will keep an eye on it and document any size change. She has been molting over the past few weeks. She seems to be eating and drinking just fine, but she is hobbling around a bit. I just found out a few days ago my 3 chickens have scaly leg mites, so they are being treated for that. I am unsure if the hobbling is related to the SLM or this tumor thing...

If the SLM are severe, then possible that can affect mobility.
Eating/drinking is good. I don't know what the swelling would be from. Molting is stressful so could cause a bird to become symptomatic with an underlying illness, condition or disease.
Her color is off to me, even in a molting bird. I can't put my finger on it, someone else (last year?) had a hen with a skin color change like that and I "THINK" it was due to Lymphoid Leucosis, but can't find the thread now.
@azygous do any of your hen's combs turn orangy when they are symptomatic?

When a comb goes to the color of lunch meat, in my flock it usually means a chicken is being overwhelmed with tumors causing systemic shutdown - hormone depletion, anemia, possible secondary infection, and liver shutdown.

The lump could be an external tumor caused by the leucosis virus if the tumor is rock hard. But it may not be malignant. I have an aging hen with a growing non-malignant tumor over her eye, but otherwise her health is very good for going on fourteen years.

When a comb goes to the color of lunch meat, in my flock it usually means a chicken is being overwhelmed with tumors causing systemic shutdown - hormone depletion, anemia, possible secondary infection, and liver shutdown.

The lump could be an external tumor caused by the leucosis virus if the tumor is rock hard. But it may not be malignant. I have an aging hen with a growing non-malignant tumor over her eye, but otherwise her health is very good for going on fourteen years.
Thank you! What else should I be looking out for if it is Leukosis? I wouldn't say the lump is rock hard, but it is definitely firm.

Here is more information on the type of tumor your hen may have. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03079450801898815

Lymphoid leucosis or avian leucosis or avian leukemia, all referring to a virus that is extremely contagious, may never cause symptoms in a flock that carries it as most chickens carrying it develop resistance.

If you see lameness without any apparent physical cause, a purple comb and difficulty breathing, overall unwellness with no other symptoms or apparent causes, then you might suspect tumors from leucosis virus growing on organs and inflaming nerve endings. A mysterious death can be from avian leucosis. But the presence of these symptoms is not conclusive evidence of leucosis. The only way to know for certain your flock carries this virus is to have a lab do a necropsy on a chicken that has died.

Many years ago, I had an eleven-month old cockerel with severe breathing problems, and he had to be euthanized. I drove his body to my state lab and they did a necropsy. I had the results in just two hours. That's when I found out leucosis was in my flock.

Then last year, I had three out of four young pullets all go lame, then paralyzed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/ I euthanized each one until the third was stricken. Instead of euthanizing her, I drove her still alive to the lab, they euthanized her, and did a necropspy. It was confirmed it was leucosis.

Here is more information on the type of tumor your hen may have. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03079450801898815

Lymphoid leucosis or avian leucosis or avian leukemia, all referring to a virus that is extremely contagious, may never cause symptoms in a flock that carries it as most chickens carrying it develop resistance.

If you see lameness without any apparent physical cause, a purple comb and difficulty breathing, overall unwellness with no other symptoms or apparent causes, then you might suspect tumors from leucosis virus growing on organs and inflaming nerve endings. A mysterious death can be from avian leucosis. But the presence of these symptoms is not conclusive evidence of leucosis. The only way to know for certain your flock carries this virus is to have a lab do a necropsy on a chicken that has died.

Many years ago, I had an eleven-month old cockerel with severe breathing problems, and he had to be euthanized. I drove his body to my state lab and they did a necropsy. I had the results in just two hours. That's when I found out leucosis was in my flock.

Then last year, I had three out of four young pullets all go lame, then paralyzed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/ I euthanized each one until the third was stricken. Instead of euthanizing her, I drove her still alive to the lab, they euthanized her, and did a necropspy. It was confirmed it was leucosis.
Is this a virus that sticks around? In other words, should I refrain from getting new chickens or chicks on the property until these birds pass?

Back
Top Bottom