Lumps in chicks chest from Coccidiosis or something else?

spatulagirl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Harpers Ferry, WV
I am having the worst luck with this bunch of chicks!

I lost four chicks in about 24 hours time and when posting on here last night it was pointed out to me that they had coccidiosis. So I went to the feed store this morning and got them Corid and medicated chick food. I started them on it this morning and the one I was really worried about in Brooder 1 seems to be doing better.

As I was checking on everyone though, a maran and a welsummer in Brooder 2 still looked bad so I picked them up and now they both have hard lumps on their right chest. Is this another sign of coccisiosis or is it an impacted crop? It is only on one side.

Please help! I don't want to lose any more.

Hi spatulagirl, are you sure it's not simply the crop filling with food? If you take away the food overnight you can check the crops in the morning (should be empty). When chicks are eating well the crops can get really full and hard.

cheers
Erica

I took pictures.

I can squish and mold the lump. I have never seen this on a chick before and I have raised a few. So my guess is impacted crop but look at the pic and see what you think.

Thank you for your help.

It looks simply like full crops to me. I agree about taking food away to see if their crops empty. How are they behaving?

Hard to tell because today is day1 of coccidiosis meds. I lost four chicks so far to it. The Welsummer looked like it was getting sick this morning so she is fatigued from that.

Should I isolate them and just offer the medicated water?

The same thing happened to one of my 2 week old SFs - I paniced and gave it some olive oil and a chest massage, today it runs up to me and stands real tall - wanting me to rub his chest
lol.png

I think your chicks are very satisfied! It scared me when I saw it. I had just bought them from a reputable breeder and I'd never had young ones before...

I spent some more time thinking about when mine had a swollen crop. He was lethargic for about 3 days, I think. Sat around, dozing. I remember rushing home from work each day, expecting him to be dead.

It was also the right side. I know because it still fills up when he eats a lot. He's a runt, has practically no feathers for a month old. Had a slight problem with pasty butt, I had to wash his rump once and clean him up.

I hope things get better
hugs.gif

I think it is just a full crop. So many new owners post here worried about those "neck/chest lumps" when it is nothing more than a piggy of a chick with a stuffed to the brim crop.

Maybe BYC Mods could post a chicken anatomy diagram and sticky it to allay fears when things like greedy birds happen :D

Yes, when it happened to me, I had just met the breeder and picked them up after a long road trip, and without thinking about it I just let them have a full plate of food (and water too)... the very next day - boy was he bloated, no wonder he didn't feel good!

I am probably feeling extra paranoid due to the Coccidiosis and me having to go out of town for a week on Friday. Normally I wouldn't be worried about the chicks in the care of a pet sitter but right now I am freaking out what with all the illness going on.

Back
Top Bottom