Lumps on new chick's chest?

CarFly

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
This is my first time raising chicks. We just brought home some chicks last night and I noticed this afternoon that 4 out of 6 of my chicks are developing a tumor-like lump from about the middle and off to one side. Is this normal, and if not, what do I need to do for them?

Thanks!

That sounds like the crop is full. If its on their chest about where the breastplate would be, then you have a chick that has eaten food and has a full crop. Sounds normal.

Nope. Think of it as a full tummy. As long as they are eating chick food, or soft foods like yogurt or egg yolk, then you dont need to worry or give them anything extra. When you do decide to give them treats or other foods is when you need to add grit. That will help them digest the more "grown-up" food.

That sounds like you are feeding them correctly
clap.gif

This is where the feed is placed before it is broken down before it journey's on to be digested
love.gif

I always check my baby's and adults daily in this spot to make sure they are getting enough feed
highfive.gif

This shows you are doing your job as a good flock raiser
yesss.gif

Remember no question is a useless question if you do not know
duc.gif

gander007
old.gif

Thanks so much for this thread. I just noticed a marble-sized lump on my 1-week-old Dominique, and was totally worried. I know she's a good eater, so this makes so much sense. Cheers to you chickeneers!!

Back
Top Bottom